Kerry Wood ??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kerry Wood ???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kerry Wood ???

Postby tjasinto2 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:14 am

My team auto drafted Kerry Wood. Should I hold onto him or get rid of him and hit the for another SP?

My roster is below..Thanks

C-J. Posada
1B-D. Ortiz
1B-C.Delgado
2B-M. Loretta
2B-J.Vidro
3B-Mi. Cabrera
SS-J.Peralta
OF-C.Lee-
OF-J.Jane
OF-G.Jenkins
OF-J.Drew
OF-J.Jones

SP-J.Paterson
SP-C.Sabathia
SP-B.Radke
SP-B.Chen
SP-J.Lackey
SP-K.Wood
RP-H.Street
RP-E.Gagne
RP-D.Hermenson
tjasinto2
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:39 am

Any DL slots or bench slots? If not I'd get rid of him...he won't be back until early May at the soonest.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby footballsimp » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:20 pm

This is from KFFL:

Mar 21 Carrie Muskat, of Cubs.MLB.com, reports Chicago Cubs P Kerry Wood (shoulder) is rehabbing his shoulder, and has been throwing off a mound well. If the process keeps going on schedule, Wood could return to the field by late April. "I've been pretty smooth, and I'm also worrying about [mechanics] more than my shoulder, so that's helping a little bit," he said. "I've been pretty optimistic from day one and that's the way you have to approach it."

I am in a 12 man competitive league. I drafted him as my last pitcher and I am keeping him.

Your starting roation sux in my opinion so I would keep him and pray REAL hard he does something
footballsimp
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 5 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:21 pm

yeah, do you have a DL spot or two in your league?

without knowing any of the particulars, I'd hold on to him.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tjasinto2 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:54 pm

5 wrote:yeah, do you have a DL spot or two in your league?

without knowing any of the particulars, I'd hold on to him.
I don't have a DL slot in my league that I know of. So you think I should hold on to him? I dropped Hermanson to empty out a slot. There's nothing but junk on my WW and my best options are to pick up either K. Escobar or Bronson Arroyo...LOL. I my waiver settings to drop Kerry Wood tomorrow as soon as waivers clear (3/23) for one of them. Should I cancel the waivers and keep Kerry on my bench?

If I do that and pick up another starter then I can't pick up another relief pitcher. I dropped Hermanson becuz word is now he might retire and he's still hurt anyways so I'm short a reliever also.

I don't know what happened during the auto draft and how I got such bad pitching on my starting rotation.

I'm not complaining about Gagne or Street but I do need another RP don't you think?
tjasinto2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 5 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:10 pm

Escobar's not junk...I'd definitely pick him up for the empty slot.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:14 pm

I thought I saw this was a 10 team h2h league but apparently that info's not in here. How many teams is this and what format is it. Also, I'd double-check the league settings to find out if you have a DL slot.

If this is roto then I would not drop Wood. But if this is a h2h league then you have to give serious thought to it if there is no bench and no DL slots. Escobar should have a good year this year and would be worth a pickup over Wood (again assuming this is h2h).

See if Burgos is available right away. If not then I can point you to a thread I posted to yesterday that have some good guys that might end up getting a closer job. Although honestly I would probably pick up Baez seeing as how you have Gagne. I'd want to protect my investment there. And I wouldn't worry too much about only having 2 closers as long as this is a 12 team or more league - not everyone will have 3 closers and assuming you pick up Baez you've got two good ones along with one of their backups.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tjasinto2 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:23 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I thought I saw this was a 10 team h2h league but apparently that info's not in here. How many teams is this and what format is it. Also, I'd double-check the league settings to find out if you have a DL slot.

If this is roto then I would not drop Wood. But if this is a h2h league then you have to give serious thought to it if there is no bench and no DL slots. Escobar should have a good year this year and would be worth a pickup over Wood (again assuming this is h2h).

See if Burgos is available right away. If not then I can point you to a thread I posted to yesterday that have some good guys that might end up getting a closer job. Although honestly I would probably pick up Baez seeing as how you have Gagne. I'd want to protect my investment there. And I wouldn't worry too much about only having 2 closers as long as this is a 12 team or more league - not everyone will have 3 closers and assuming you pick up Baez you've got two good ones along with one of their backups.

Sorry I thought I had posted the info. I'm in a standard h2h 12 team yahoo league with no Disable List. I have one bench slot open becuz I dropped Hermanson today.

You have some good info and based on the info I gave you what do you suggest I do? Thanks...
tjasinto2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:41 pm

It's a VERY tough decision. Picking up Escobar with the open slot is a no-brainer. It gives you 6 SP's which you really want to have in a h2h league.

So it really boils down to whether to drop Wood for another RP'er. That depends a lot on how closely you follow the news. Assuming that there are no current closers available to pick up I probably would not drop Wood. Since Escobar is SP/RP eligible you can toss him in the RP slot until you pick up a RP guy (assuming that you ever pick one up) which gives you flexibility in deciding on your next move. For me I would only drop Wood for a GOOD closer with a job or for Baez immediately if Gagne gets hurt. If you're not confident on your ability to beat people to Baez and there are no closers available on the WW then I would drop Wood for Baez though.

Personally, I catch most injuries before other people in my leagues so I would run with Escobar in my open RP slot and keep Wood on my roster...all signs are looking good with Wood to be back to pitching in early May and as long as you have Escobar then you don't have to worry about being a SP short. When Wood DOES come back I wouldn't touch a thing. In your league format having Escobar in a RP slot is a HUGE advantage since it effectively gives you 7 SP (of course you could do the same thing with Wood as well so Escobar wouldn't have to be the guy...but he's going to have a great season so I'd still pick him up).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tjasinto2 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:55 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:It's a VERY tough decision. Picking up Escobar with the open slot is a no-brainer. It gives you 6 SP's which you really want to have in a h2h league.

So it really boils down to whether to drop Wood for another RP'er. That depends a lot on how closely you follow the news. Assuming that there are no current closers available to pick up I probably would not drop Wood. Since Escobar is SP/RP eligible you can toss him in the RP slot until you pick up a RP guy (assuming that you ever pick one up) which gives you flexibility in deciding on your next move. For me I would only drop Wood for a GOOD closer with a job or for Baez immediately if Gagne gets hurt. If you're not confident on your ability to beat people to Baez and there are no closers available on the WW then I would drop Wood for Baez though.

Personally, I catch most injuries before other people in my leagues so I would run with Escobar in my open RP slot and keep Wood on my roster...all signs are looking good with Wood to be back to pitching in early May and as long as you have Escobar then you don't have to worry about being a SP short. When Wood DOES come back I wouldn't touch a thing. In your league format having Escobar in a RP slot is a HUGE advantage since it effectively gives you 7 SP (of course you could do the same thing with Wood as well so Escobar wouldn't have to be the guy...but he's going to have a great season so I'd still pick him up).
Thanks a lot. I took your advice and reset my waiver pick ups so that Escobar was the first priority. If I can get Escobar then I'll keep wood on my bench. I have waiver#6 so hopefully I'll land him.

I do keep up on my news also, so I'll keep an eye out of and Kerry Wood news... ;-D
tjasinto2
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates