Who makes the team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Who makes the team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who makes the team?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:06 am

Ponson seems in IMO. I think he'll be the 5th starter and Reyes goes back to AAA. Does Wainright get a crack at the bullpen? Or Benes? He's had a nice Spring. I had Spivey pegged to start at 2B but Miles is giving him some competition.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:44 pm

Carpenter
Mulder
Marquis
Suppan
Ponson

Izzy
Loop
Thompson
Rincon
Flores

???

Josh Hancock

Jeff Nelson/Adam Wainwright

----------------------------------------------------------------------

i think hancock will make it in. tony and dunc are looking for a guy that can get some k's and hancock looks to be that person. it then comes down to the experience of nelson vs. the youth of wainwright. personally i'd like to see wainwright get the job. give him some major league innings like haren got in 2004 and see what he is made of. we know wainwright can pitch in AAA, what we need to know is whether or not he can pitch in the majors. if he looks good as a long man out of the pen this year then let him compete for a starting job next year. nelson has had a decent spring but i have read comments from tony about him competing for a spot and that the competition is tough. there seems to be nothing but praise for wainwright. i give the slight edge to wainwright. i suppose falkenborg might sneak, but at this point is probably too much of an unknown for tony to consider.

as for the bats, i dont know what the hell to think. mgmt is making excuses for spivey (people need to be patient, he has some shoulder injury, etc) so it seems like he is the man there. bigbie will probably start at LF and taguchi the sub. none of the 2b or outfield candidates look particularly good. i honestly think that if ankiel were healthy he had a legit shot at the starting LF job. wouldnt take much to look good in that competition.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Looks like Hancock and Wainwright for the last 2 bullpen spots. Nelson didn't help himself any yesterday.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:10 pm

nelson is officially out.

Cardinals cut Nelson, reassign Daubach
ASSOCIATED PRESS
03/26/2006

JUPITER, Fla. -- The Cardinals on Sunday released relief pitcher Jeff Nelson, who fell short in an attempt to make the team as a non-roster invitee to spring training.

Nelson, 39, was cut although he gave up only one hit and no runs in 5 2/3 innings.

He was informed after throwing a hitless inning against the Marlins.

The Cardinals also reassigned Brian Daubach, a first baseman/outfielder who also had been a non-roster invitee, to Triple-A Memphis.

Daubach, who hit .333 in 30 at-bats with two home runs and nine RBIs, indicated he would probably report to the minor league camp on Tuesday.

The Cardinals cut two other players, right-handed reliever Jeff Nelson and first baseman/outfielder Brian Daubach. Both had been nonroster invitees.

La Russa had said earlier in the day that the team would be cutting three or four players, but said "that's enough for today."

Nelson, 39, was released although he gave up only one hit and no runs in 5 2-3 innings. He was informed after throwing a hitless inning against the Marlins.

Nelson had thought he was being added to the 25-man roster.

"It's definitely a shock," Nelson said. "I didn't think there was a possibility that I wouldn't make this team. If I gave up one run, then I'd say 'OK, maybe I gave up too many runs."'

Nelson was a member of four World Championship teams with the Yankees. Last year he was 1-3 with a 3.93 ERA in 49 games with the Mariners.

He said La Russa told him he was getting too many pitches up in the zone.

"I told him, 'How do you pitch better? Not give up any hits?" Nelson said.

early on i though nelson had a pretty good shot but he didnt see many innings and tony didnt seem to care for him too much although i cant recall anything specific.

supposedly they love hancock. wainwright seems to be the favorite for the final spot. falkenborg and benes are still hanging around but i cant seem them beating out wainwright.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to St. Louis Cardinals