Bobby Jenks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Bobby Jenks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby lefty31mazur » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:01 am

"After Bobby Jenks allowed four runs in the eighth inning on Wednesday, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen left the door open to the possibility that Neal Cotts could take over as the closer, according to the Chicago Tribune. Jenks showed up to camp overweight and has struggled. With Dustin Hermanson having back problems, Cotts is apparently next in line. Guillen said that Jenks would keep his job as long as he threw strikes."

"Mar 23 The Chicago Tribune reports control problems experienced by Chicago White Sox CL Bobby Jenks may pave the way for RP Neal Cotts to take over closing duties. Jenks allowed four runs in one inning on March 22. "One of the reasons we used Cotts in the last inning is just in case Jenks' woes continue," White Sox MAN Ozzie Guillen said. "I'm not the type of manager who says 'You are my closer.' You are my closer by my gut feeling."

Neal Cotts to 1st in line in place of Dustin Hermanson
Cliff Politte still 2nd in line

Jenks has been alarming wild this Spring with 8 BB in 8 IP. On Wednesday, manager Ozzie Guillen mentioned Cotts as his back up closer plan. The left handed Cotts was tough on left hand and right hand hitters alike in 2005 with an impressive opposition OPS of .497 and .559 respectively. The 26-year-old had a 1.11 WHIP in 60+ IP last year with 58 K and 13 holds.

Guillen showed last season that he's not afraid to make a change at the closer spot going from Shingo Takatsu to Hermanson to Jenks. Therefore, Jenks could be in trouble if his control problems carry over to the regular season.

Hermanson has been struggling with recurring back problems and his status for the upcoming season is to be determined.
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cool Daddy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:44 am

Thanks for the info..... ;-D
cool Daddy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby checkers » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:01 am

Jenks has struggled during spring training and manager Ozzie Guillen has choice words to say about. Jenks has allowed seven runs and six walks over his last four outings.

We don't want to even go into the details of what Ozzie said to the press. Let's just say, if Jenks doesn't pull it together soon, he will be gone. If you haven't drafted yet, back him up with Neal Cotts.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HasteTheDay » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:51 pm

Cotts is definitely the future. Jenks got wayyy too overhyped from that World Series preformance. He's not the answer just because he can throw 100MPH.
HasteTheDay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrider » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:00 pm

I picked up Cotts just in case finally my closer situation is settled I got 4 potentially 5
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wurthit » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:13 pm

im trying to dump jenks on someone but he isnt biting.
wurthit
College Coach
College Coach

Postby checkers » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:55 pm

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen indicated again Friday that he will consider using Neal Cotts over Bobby Jenks in save situation.

"I’m going to go by committee the way I have since I got this job," Guillen said. "We’ve had (Billy) Koch, (Shingo) Takatsu, Hermanson, Bobby Jenks — why not somebody else? I’m going to go with the guy throwing the ball better." Well, Guillen's never actually used a committee unless he's had to. What he has done is show that he's quick to change closers. That Jenks is in the doghouse now is partially the result of him showing up in poor condition. His velocity has been OK, but his command hasn't, and Cotts looks like the better pitcher right now. Jenks remains the clear favorite for saves in the White Sox pen, even if he might not have the closer's role on Opening Day. Pairing the two relievers in fantasy leagues would be a good strategy.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lefty31mazur » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:10 pm

good move...Ozzie is not as stubborn as most managers when it comes to the bullpen. He will go with the best arm he has at the moment. Since they don't have a top shelf closer there is no reason to stay committed to Jenks. Cotts knows how to pitch...I actually don't see Jenks as the favorite. I was not as impressed with him last year as most people and this spring is no surprise to me.
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby checkers » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:27 pm

I'm thinking of picking up Cotts from FA..
who should I drop between Paul Byrd and B Claussen ? ...
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates