Makarkis...will he get called down? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Makarkis...will he get called down?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Makarkis...will he get called down?

Postby houstonoilers » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:03 am

I was wondering since they havent moved him yet is he might make the roster? I am also wondering if Hayden Penn and Ervin Santana are the real deal?
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hybrid » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:33 am

I doubt he makes the O's roster out of Spring Training. It would be best for him to send him down and get more time in the minors, as he barely has over 100 AB's above A ball.

Santana - Yes, if he stays healthy
Penn - Not a big fan of, most likely a middle to back of the rotation pitcher. Though I do think Leo will make him a better pitcher.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby houstonoilers » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:39 am

appreciate the input hybrid
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby booboo » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:50 am

I hope the O's do keep Markakis up despite his lack of professional experience. They need someone like him on the roster.
Looking at their outfielders: Patterson can't get on base, and though he has range, his defense is average at best. Matos can't hit worth a lick. Gibbons hits like an average RF (.270 avg, 25 homers) but is a bad fielder. Conine and Millar are old, old guys who can't move well, can't field well, and don't swing enough of a bat to play in the OF or DH. All in all, Patterson and Matos can man CF defensively, but have glaring shortcomings at the plate. combine the two, and you gave a much better player. Conine, Millar, and Gibbons are absolutely pedestrian and are all defensive liabilities.

I'm a big Markakis fan, and I think he's ready despite the lack of experience. He can develop further in the minors, but i think he's also the kinda player, who will continue to develop in the majors, without being rushed. He should start in LF. He has the batting eye and patience that Patterson lacks and the stick that Matos lacks.

In fact, I liken him a bit to Grady Sizemore. Same kinda skill set. More importantly, same kinda swagger and confidence, which will prevent the kinda slumps that plague rookies. Grady probably has a little more speed, but I think Markakis will hit for more power in the coming years. He only knocked out 15 last year in the minors, but he also had 40 some doubles, which is a sign of power on its way.

If you give the guy 450-500 major league at-bats this year, i think one can expect solid defense, a .280 avg, a .330+ obp (possibly even .350), 15-20 homers, 8-10 sb's, and more importantly, someone marketable who brings a little excitement & hope to Camden Yards.
booboo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby booboo » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:59 am

If I were Sam Perlozzo, I would be asking myself: what exactly do Conine and Millar bring to the table? Nothing! Get them outta there. Move Patterson to LF, Matos in CF, and Markakis in RF. As a former pitcher with a 93 mph fastball, Markakis has the arm to play RF.

My lineup would look like this:

Brian Roberts 2b
Nick Markakis rf
Melvin Mora 3b
Miguel Tejada ss
Javy Lopez 1B/DH
Jay Gibbons DH/1B
Ramon Hernandez C
Corey Patterson LF
Luis Matos CF
booboo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KDOGG » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:49 am

Fro what it's worth I know the cubbies are trying to acquire matos for Todd Walker and I think this deal is pretty close to gettign done. That might be the reason that MArkakis hasn't been sent down yet.
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Minor League & College Baseball