Will Sheets go on the DL? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Sheets go on the DL?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mrider » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:51 am

Thank the lord I really need him to be healthy my pitchers are dropping like flys. Burnett, Sheets luckily I get good news the last 2 days though. I Think that when he returns he will be awesome.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:51 am

Yet another tainted pitcher that I haven't gone anywhere near for the last 3 years and likely never will. Don't be the guy crossing your fingers when you make your pick, be the guy chuckling to himself because he knows better. :-D
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:02 am

AT wrote:Yet another tainted pitcher that I haven't gone anywhere near for the last 3 years and likely never will. Don't be the guy crossing your fingers when you make your pick, be the guy chuckling to himself because he knows better. :-D

good call...it's really sad the amount of young talented pitchers i dont want to draft for my fantasy team becasue of injury scares

Burnett, Beckett, Sheets, Prior...Harden is one season away from being there
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:08 am

Slow Pitch wrote:From the Brewers site:

Assuming things progress positively as they have over the last week, it does not look like Sheets will have to start the year on the DL. He is almost certainly a no-go for April 3 against the Pirates, but because of perfectly-placed off-days on April 6 and 11, manager Ned Yost could go with a four-man rotation of Doug Davis, Chris Capuano, Tomo Ohka and Dave Bush for the first two weeks before needing a fifth starter on April 17 at Houston. That could be a reasonable target date for Sheets, assuming he has no more setbacks. Look for Yost to make his plans public in the next few days.

Sheets was bouncing around the clubhouse on Sunday, a good sign that he was thrilled with his bullpen session at rainy Maryvale Baseball Park, and notably snapped off 10-15 curveballs during eight-minutes on the mound. Overcoming the mental hurdle of that pitch -- arguably Sheets' best and the one on which he suffered his original injury last August -- is probably more vital to Sheets' comeback as his physical progress.

Now this is exactly the kind of insight needed. Yea the mental edge of his curve ball sure does make sense. Even if he does go to the DL, he'll only be there for the min. time. So as a Sheets owner, that is good news to me!
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:09 am

I'll echo that previous post...if he's not pitching until April 17, why not disable him? That makes no sense to me.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:11 am

AT wrote:Yet another tainted pitcher that I haven't gone anywhere near for the last 3 years and likely never will. Don't be the guy crossing your fingers when you make your pick, be the guy chuckling to himself because he knows better. :-D

This is just rediculous. The guy has pitched less than 200 IP once in his career yet you have been avoiding him for 3 years? Give me a break. I can see not being high on him this year but you know what, this is completely normal for a pitcher. Pitchers who don't get hurt in some form every 5 years are very very rare which is why I can't stress enough that you shouldn't draft pitching early. Santana is the only pitcher worth getting in the first 5 rounds that doesn't come with a significant injury history.

Pedro - toe
Carpenter - missed season recently
Peavy - lots of injuries in the past 2 years
Oswalt - chronic back/side problems
Halladay - on off DL a lot in recent years.
RJ - knee
Harden - on DL a lot lately.
Pettitte missed a lot of time 2 years ago
Zambrano - work load issues, elbow and back, muscle cramping that could show an injury is looming. He hasn't missed a lot of time but he's been banged up pretty good.

etc, etc.

I'm all for waiting on pitching to slide before drafting it but to say that Sheets is some how more of a red flag than other pitchers before this year is really pushing things.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Doughhead » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:03 am

Anything new here? Is Sheets going on the DL or what?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:07 am

He is going on the DL and will likely pitch around April 16-17th. They kept him out of the last week of spring training so they can back-date his DL time by 7 days.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Grandma's Pujol » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:20 am

I noticed Prior is officially on Yahoo's DL now...hopefully the brewers will make official designation soon so I can grab a loser out of the FA pool.
Grandma's Pujol
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:47 am

I've had him in 04, 05 and now in 06. Even though he was hurt in 05, he still helped my team when he pitched.

As long as you have good backups for Sheets, he is an excellent pitcher you can get at a bargain price in 06. I'd rather gamble on someone like Sheets than Prior or Schilling or Schmidt.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers