Soriano refuses to move to LF - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Soriano refuses to move to LF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Soriano refuses to move to LF

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:37 pm

http://sports.excite.com/news/03202006/v1959.html

Alfonso Soriano refused to play the outfield for the Washington Nationals in what was supposed to be his spring training debut Monday night, and general manager Jim Bowden said his biggest offseason acquisition will go on the disqualified list if he doesn't agree to switch positions this week.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lil' Doug Dascenzo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:52 pm

He's one of my keepers. Great news!
Lil' Doug Dascenzo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Geek » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:36 pm

Frank Robinson is ten times the man that Soriano ever will be.

Alfonso ain't winning this one.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jt787 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:45 am

Trade him! Thats what they should do..Maybe to coors field so that i can benefit
;-)
jt787
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lefty31mazur » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:25 am

I'm trying to imagine which teams have a spare outfielder and the deep pockets to take on 10 million this year.

Presuming the Nats want a Starting Left Fielder
I can imagine the D-Rays dealing Huff and Moving Cantu to 3rd but I doubt if they would want Soriano's salary at all. That is not going to happen.

Boston just aquired a couple of spare OF in Pena and Juan Gone and Nixon is on the last year of his contract, they could deal him but I don't know what they would do with Loretta.

The Mets could use a 2B, Floyd is on the last year of his contract but most teams don't like to trade with teams in their division.

Seattle has a spare OF in Lawton and a hole at 2B

I got no clue but they need to deal him asap
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lefty31mazur » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:59 am

The real reason Soriano won't play the outfield is that he is a free agent at the end of the year. He would make millions more next year as a 2B than if he were an OF. If I were his agent I would tell him to sit out and I would not flinch a bit. It could force them to deal him to a bigger market and ensure a better position as a free agent next year. There is no loyalty in baseball other than to $$$. Teams are not loyal to players and players are not loyal to teams. The bottom line is money and there is no reason for Washinton to believe that he would be so loyal to the nationals to make that kind of sacrifice even if he is not very good on defence. They could have found a number of LF solutions for 10 million and they were very stubborn to think Soriano would make the move when he has said all along that he would not do it. I doub't it was Robinson's decision to trade for Soriano...him being a better man has nothing to do with it. If they think they are just going to put him on the disqualified list all year they are going to have to answer to all their fans for giving Brad Wilkerson and Terrmel Sledge, and Minor League pitcher Armando Galarraga away for nothing when they desperately needed to improve their offence.
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ximan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:57 am

Soriano could go to the Cubs. They have the cash to add $10M and they could give up Todd Walker and a minor leaguer. The only problem I see is Soriano's defense, that might turn the Cubs off since they seem to prefer Hairston at 2nd rather than Walker.
ximan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rentz » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:30 am

as a rangers fan, i love it everytime i hear one of these soriano stories.
because we all knew what shit storm was brewing with the guy.

but as a fantasy owner i hate it....he's my secondbaseman :(
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mpoland92 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:39 am

the only problem with Soriano sitting out this year is that the Nationals will put him on the restricted (or something like that) list and this year wont count, he wont be paid and wont get credit for playing the season, so next season he will still be the Nationals "property".... so the only 2 decisions I see here are 1- Soriano suck it up thsi year and play the outfield (and hope Vidro gets hurt or plays poorly), or 2- sit out and see if he gets traded, other than that I dont see any hope for him, which sucks because I too have him in 2 of my leagues which will kill me because the guy is a 1-3 rd player depending on which type of league and such it is....
mpoland92
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mpoland92 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:40 am

the only problem with Soriano sitting out this year is that the Nationals will put him on the restricted (or something like that) list and this year wont count, he wont be paid and wont get credit for playing the season, so next season he will still be the Nationals "property".... so the only 2 decisions I see here are 1- Soriano suck it up thsi year and play the outfield (and hope Vidro gets hurt or plays poorly), or 2- sit out and see if he gets traded, other than that I dont see any hope for him, which sucks because I too have him in 2 of my leagues which will kill me because the guy is a 1-3 rd player depending on which type of league and such it is....
mpoland92
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates