Dontrelle left OFF the All-Star team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dontrelle left OFF the All-Star team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dontrelle left OFF the All-Star team

Postby nsulham » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:06 pm

So much for all the talk of him not starting if asked....apparently he won't even be there. Quite a snub but he may get in after all. Chacon's banged up so they might add Dontrelle to the roster. On Baseball Tonight, Dusty Baker used the "I haven't seen him yet so I couldn't select him" reasoning for not taking him. Well Dust, he's scheduled to start AGAINST your squad his next time out so I'm sure you'll see all you want of Mr. Dontrelle.

Another thing that stuck out to me was Lance Carter getting the nod over Baldelli for TB. What's everyone else think? Snubs or otherwise...
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:42 pm

I don't think Willis really deserved to go. He's only made 11 starts, while the rest of the pitchers have made 18 starts. Anyone's capable of going on a hot streak of starts, and it wouldn't be fair to take someone who hasn't pitched the whole season.

Willis is not getting in. Kerry Wood is already announced as their Chacon replacement and Willis is not on the list of 5 players that the fans can get in.

I agree that Carter has no business on the all star team. He has performed marginally at best as a closer. I would have taken Huff over Baldelli, since Huff has the same batting average approximately as Baldelli but much better power numbers. Mike Williams was an atrocious pick. How can someone with an ERA over 6.00 be considered an all star? Brian Giles, Aramis Ramirez, Kenny Lofton, and Kip Wells would all be better picks for the Pirates rep.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:57 pm

That's a good call on Williams. Everytime I check, he's blowing a game. Giles or Wells should have gotten the nod there.

Also Benitez and Everett I have a problem with. Sure, a Met has to go but Benitez? Burnitz hasn't had a bad season. I'm sure if you asked a Met fan, they'd rather have NO rep. than have Benitez. As for Everett, no way he should be on there. He's stealing a spot for someone else more worthy (Magglio, Big Hurt?)
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby T Long » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:04 pm

why would willis be on the allstar team??? he hasn't even been in the majors the whole year , i mean my god he's only started like 9 or 10 games. and u thought he might be asked to start??
T Long
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:09 pm

nsulham wrote: He's stealing a spot for someone else more worthy (Magglio, Big Hurt?)

Try Jason Giambi. He's really turned it around and he's having a solid season. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll win the 32nd player vote so we'll see him anyway.

Oh, my bad, I forgot about the every-team-is-represented rule. I think Everett deserved it over Maggs or Big Hurt anyway.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jdh » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:52 pm

Benitez I don't think was a terrible selection. If you look at his ERA, save and strikeout totals, he is the best closer in the NL behind Gagne, Smoltz and Wagner. They could take Burnitz or Floyd instead as Mets reps, but one of those two would be having a far lesser season than alot of other outfielders that were left off. With Benitez, you can't really say that many other NL closers that were left off had a better season than him.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Peja and Bibby » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:55 pm

i think the benitez selection was okay, he really is having a decent year. everett shouldnt be selected and torii hunter should be there because he plays hard and well day in and day out.IMO
Down with dope and up with hope.
Peja and Bibby
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers