Arroyo to the Reds for Pena - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Arroyo to the Reds for Pena

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:53 pm

No longer do we have to listen to him sing that song..

"Oh I love that dirty water..."

See ya!!

Okay, okay, He was a pretty good pitcher for us, and I shouldn't be that hard on him. But I think he was concentrating way too much on his singing career here in Boston...

Good luck in Cincy, Bronson! Pitching at Great American Ballpark, can't be much worse than pitching at Fenway, can it? I mean, Fenway is the ultimate hitter's ballpark! And he had to pitch against the Yankees!! Reds fans, you've got a pretty good pitcher there, even if he is a little streaky. And now that I think about it, he did do a lot better on the road than at Fenway.

Pena will probably hit against lefties in place of Nixon, as Payton did last year. This ruins Pena's and Nixon's value (if Nixon had any value, that is). If Pena is more patient than Payton, he will likely get his chance. Nixon will get injured sooner or later. So drop Pena, but keep an eye on that aspect. Make sure you pick him up when Nixon gets injured!
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:58 pm

It does hurt my aspirations as far as Freel goes. I was looking for him to lose enough of his value so that the person who has him would drop him, or trade him cheaply. Freel is going to be great in that lineup, no matter what. They'd have to be stupid, if they don't find a place for him in just about every game. You need his speed and average. This trade brings up his value... and makes it so he will cost too much to get. Oh well. Will have to find someone else to take his place. lol.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby footballsimp » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:40 pm

Wily Mo Pena's stock takes a huge hit. but this is just me thinking out loud here. Could this POSSIBLY mean the Red Sox would shop Manny around now. Pena would not provide a good batting Average but if given the AB I am fairly confident he could hit 40 HR in fenway.

I may be TOTALLY crazy but he is a good prospect and it seems crazy for him to rot on the bench until the sox play a lefty.
footballsimp
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby theultimate69 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:04 pm

I would have thought Pena landing in Fenway would upgrade his status, not downgrade it? He may get fewer at bats but he'll probably get all the time over Nixon against lefty SP, whenver Nixon can't play, AND whenever Ortiz plays 1B. This would add up to a good number of AB's wouldn't it? And being in Fenway this should translate to a lot of HR's, no?
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:05 pm

They've been shopping Manny, and haven't gotten anywhere. I think if there were going to be a trade with Manny involved, it would have happened already. It doesn't make sense that they would be waiting for someone to take Manny's replace. The idea would be to get someone back in a trade for Manny, if they were going to do it.

Pena is young, and Nixon is getting older. My thoughts are that Pena is, sooner or later, going to replace Nixon. If Nixon gets injured, it could be then. If Nixon starts slumping, it could be then. Sooner or later, Pena is going to take over for Nixon. This is probably Nixon's last year with the Sox.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby theultimate69 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:23 pm

quitesanemax wrote:They've been shopping Manny, and haven't gotten anywhere. I think if there were going to be a trade with Manny involved, it would have happened already. It doesn't make sense that they would be waiting for someone to take Manny's replace. The idea would be to get someone back in a trade for Manny, if they were going to do it.

Pena is young, and Nixon is getting older. My thoughts are that Pena is, sooner or later, going to replace Nixon. If Nixon gets injured, it could be then. If Nixon starts slumping, it could be then. Sooner or later, Pena is going to take over for Nixon. This is probably Nixon's last year with the Sox.

Are you suggesting that Pena's fantasy value, being in Fenway, does increase as opposed to decrease after the trade?
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HasteTheDay » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Nixon is a long-time underachiever.. and he has a very good reason to break through this year being its his contract year. Nixon has been with the Sox since 96', his rookie year. They won't just get rid of him now. Is knees are feeling great now, and he's hitting over .400 this spring.

Pena's value goes DOWN. He will not be playing as much as he would in Cincy. A career .240 hitter, who swings for the fence all the time. He needs a lot of work yet. Pena might be a big help to the Red Sox in the future, but not this year.

Its funny, I traded Pena straight up for Barry Zito last week. Thank god I did.
HasteTheDay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby .38 Special » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:30 am

HasteTheDay wrote:Nixon is a long-time underachiever.. and he has a very good reason to break through this year being its his contract year. Nixon has been with the Sox since 96', his rookie year. They won't just get rid of him now. Is knees are feeling great now, and he's hitting over .400 this spring.

Pena's value goes DOWN. He will not be playing as much as he would in Cincy. A career .240 hitter, who swings for the fence all the time. He needs a lot of work yet. Pena might be a big help to the Red Sox in the future, but not this year.

Its funny, I traded Pena straight up for Barry Zito last week. Thank god I did.

Please explain how he won't be of help this year. Do you have some split stats to show a Nixon/Pena platoon wouldn't work? Is this just your gut? I have done my research, have you? Pena has a .291 AVG and an OPS of .881, against lefties. Nixon has a .288 AVG and OPS .847, against righties. I think Pena will platoon with Trot and have a decent year, granted not as big as if he had a full time gig. Still, lets not go as far as saying he won't be a big help for the Sox this year. For people in 12+ team leagues....it might be worth someone grabbing a Trot/Pena combo for the 4th + 5th OF. If you spot started depending on the SP matchup they could put up the numbers of a solid # 2 OF. When you consider most people gamble on upside for their 4th + 5 th OF......this might be as close to a sure thing as you will get with those picks in a deep league.

Nixon has under achieved because he gets injured easily. He is a gamer though. You feel that because it is his contract year, he will now drag himself out there to play if another injury occurs, where previous seasons he was content to relax. Trot is a gamer, his contract year means nothing to a player like him. Can he stay healthy? God I hope so....cause I don't think anyone in here would say he doesn't have potential.....he just needs to stay on the field. About them getting rid of Trot.....if he can have his big year this year.....he should cash in. Sox let Pedro, Damon, and Mueller go......why don't you think they will give Pena a chance at a cheaper price, with all the upside in the world? Unless Trot signs for a home team discount....I don't see him with the Sox next year. They told Arroyo that they wouldn't trade him, so he signed for a Home team discount......then they traded him months later.....seriously man....if you are going to make bold statements try and put a little content behind them.
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HasteTheDay » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:07 pm

Yes, the Nixon/Pena platoon WILL work for the Red Sox, not so much for Fantasy Teams. All of my leagues consist of weekly transactions, rather then daily. If you play Nixon vs. the righties, and Pena vs. the leftys, Nixon gets about 3x more playing time then Pena does.

Pedro was a damn head case, and wanted out...

Mueller only played 3 years in Boston and did nothing. His best season consisted of 19 HRs and 85 RBIs.

Damon too was there 1 year longer then Bill, and also reported he didnt like the way things were going in the Red Sox direction.

Trot on the other hand, has basicly sold his soul to the Red Sox nation. He is to the Red Sox fans as, Bernie is to the Yankee fans. I live in Boston, and I can tell you if anything happened to Trot, the fans would go crazy.

So if you're in a weekly transaction league as a lot of people are. Pena = Useless. If you are in a daily... Pena can be used as a cheap source of HRs and a dip in BA.
HasteTheDay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:38 pm

theultimate69 wrote:
Are you suggesting that Pena's fantasy value, being in Fenway, does increase as opposed to decrease after the trade?

No, Nixon's value goes down for the time being. I'm suggesting that Nixon has been an injury risk for a few years now, so keep an eye on that situation. If Nixon gets injured, then Pena's value skyrockets. Unfortunately, most of us don't have room in our lineup to pickup someone like that, and hold them in their lineup.

HasteTheDay wrote:Nixon is a long-time underachiever.. and he has a very good reason to break through this year being its his contract year. Nixon has been with the Sox since 96', his rookie year. They won't just get rid of him now. Is knees are feeling great now, and he's hitting over .400 this spring.

Nixon isn't an underachiever because he doesn't try hard. He just gets injured a lot. I see no reason for that to change.

HasteTheDay wrote:A career .240 hitter, who swings for the fence all the time. He needs a lot of work yet. Pena might be a big help to the Red Sox in the future, but not this year.

As I said, he will hit against lefties. They did it last year, I see no reason why they won't do it this year as well. He will be some use to the Red Sox this year, more use in years to come... unless Nixon gets injured again.

HasteTheDay wrote:Its funny, I traded Pena straight up for Barry Zito last week. Thank god I did.

I've always got mixed feelings when hearing about a trade like this. A part of me wishes that my competitors would make stupid trades like that. Another part of me is glad that they don't. Where would be the challenge? That is a stupid trade for anyone to accept... even if the trade was done before Pena was traded.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates