Arroyo to the Reds for Pena - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Arroyo to the Reds for Pena

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Arroyo to the Reds for Pena

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:33 pm

RotoWire Update:
Arroyo was traded to the Reds along with cash for Wily Mo Pena, the Reds' official site reports.

Recommedation:
Pena will likely serve as a platoon partner for Trot Nixon in right field, and might also pick up a handful of starts at DH whenever David Ortiz plays first base. It does hurt his fantasy value some in terms of projected playing time.

Great trade for both teams...terrible trade for the value of both players.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jnormy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:13 pm

Any thoughts from anyone about who's gonna be joining Griffey and Kearns in the Reds' OF? Curious move by Cincy, considering how few OFs they currently have on the roster, and how injury-prone their only two veteran OFs have been.
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Re: Arroyo to the Reds for Pena

Postby kid sox » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:30 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote: Great trade for both teams...terrible trade for the value of both players.

I'll have to disagree with the above statement, it seems to me that Arroyo's value gets a pretty good bump since he was slated to start the season in Boston's bullpen.
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby typoneg » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:53 pm

Good for arroyo owners bad for pena and his owners. Now a talent like pena has to wonder the bench yet again behind a no talent scrub like trot nixon.
typoneg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kid sox » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:00 pm

typoneg wrote:Good for arroyo owners bad for pena and his owners. Now a talent like pena has to wonder the bench yet again behind a no talent scrub like trot nixon.

Unless the Sox plan to play Pena at 1B. My understanding is that Mike Lowell has looked terrible at the plate....he has a slow bat. If Pena plays first, that would allow Youkilis to return to his normal position at third.
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:01 pm

I'll have to disagree with the above statement, it seems to me that Arroyo's value gets a pretty good bump since he was slated to start the season in Boston's bullpen.

Just wait till he starts pitching in Great American Ballpark before you decide his value has gone up. ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby doober » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:06 pm

Wow, this is a shocker!!! Could be a dumb question and I know EE plays 3b, but could his outstanding play have any effect on trading out Wily MO? Or could the Reds feel Kearns is finally ready for an awesome season we've all been waiting on?
doober
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:11 pm

My take on what happened from the Reds perspective (a team I get to follow in the local papers) is that they were desperate to get a SP. They knew Boston was shopping pretty much all of them and they went and scouted Arroyo. Bronson had an outstanding outing when the Cin scout was there and they overpayed to get him thinking he was the answer. The only question that Arroyo is the answer to though is "Which SP will the Reds go out and sign/trade for so that he can get taken deep repeatedly in the bandbox that is Great American Ballpark?". See also: Eric Milton.

On the plus side for the Reds he's probably going to be their #2 starter behind Harang. That's more an indictment of the rest of their staff though than an endorsement of Arroyo.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby edge27 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:54 pm

So Reds fans....whats the buzz as to what this means for Freel and Denorfia???
edge27
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:15 pm

Before the Pena deal Freel was probably not going to start at 2b (details: http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/c ... deweb.html - free reg. required but the gist is that Narron considers him too valuable as a Util guy to start at a set position). This may help him some but Narron definitely made it clear he wants Freel's flexibility. I don't know about Denorfia's play time but he's a huge favorite of Narron (http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/c ... mccoy.html - basically he likes his scrappy play).

2b is going to be even harder for Freel to see PT with Kata's signing (http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/c ... dsweb.html - article lists Matt Kata, Tony Womack, Ryan Freel, Frank Menechino and Rich Aurilia all as candidates for PT at 2b).

To make matters worse for Freel, the Reds would like Rich Aurilia's bat in the lineup as well (http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/c ... dsweb.html). Unfortunately, he plays all 4 IF slots and if Womack gets time at 2b and with the talk of moving Dunn to the OF again AND with 3b/ss being taken up by Encarnacion/Lopez it really does look like Freel is a man without a position. I would assume that Narron really is going to go forward with Freel being a super-sub. He'll see his ab's...no doubt about that. He's a fan favorite as well as a favorite of Narron. But Narron wants him to fill in everywhere but start consistantly nowhere.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates