Hello, My Name is Kenji Johjima - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hello, My Name is Kenji Johjima

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby MotorCityKitties » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:14 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Kenji Jojima, C, Seattle Mariners
Not every hitter to come over from Japan has had success in MLB, but three of the last four big names to come to America—Ichiro Suzuki, Hideki Matsui, and Tadahito Iguchi—have proven to be very good players. There's always a chance that Jojima could be the next Kazuo Matsui, but his numbers in Japan suggest that he can hit around .275 with 10-15 homers. When other teams in your league are snatching up known mediocrities at catcher in the latter rounds, take a chance on Jojima.

That advice makes no sense. They claim that his numbers "suggest that he can hit around .275 with 10-15 homers," then say to snatch him up when others take "known mediocrities." If they think those numbers are his cap, then why take a chance on a possible mediocrity rather than a known mediocrity? Seems contratictory. I don't have to worry about it though, he (along with every other catcher taken before the last round) will go earlier than I will pick him.

I love this move for this season especially.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:29 am

Ender wrote:

That advice makes no sense. They claim that his numbers "suggest that he can hit around .275 with 10-15 homers," then say to snatch him up when others take "known mediocrities." If they think those numbers are his cap, then why take a chance on a possible mediocrity rather than a known mediocrity? Seems contratictory. I don't have to worry about it though, he (along with every other catcher taken before the last round) will go earlier than I will pick him.

It makes perfect sense. Rather than taking someone you know is going to be mediocre you take him and hope his skills translate over to the majors better than expected. If he completely tanks you can still pick a mediocre catcher off the FA list. That is for a yahoo default league where catchers are useless though. If your league uses 2 C's I'd take the known guy over him.

But the problem with their advice is that, by their own projections, Johima might get to .275, and 10 HR. Why take a risk on someone who might reach numbers that plenty of others have reached. They aren't saying that he will put up .275 and 10-15 HR with a chance of .290 and 20 HR...then it would make sense. Anyway, I'm not even saying I agree with those projections, I think they are a little low, but their message was contradictory.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Jury » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:42 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Ender wrote:

It makes perfect sense. Rather than taking someone you know is going to be mediocre you take him and hope his skills translate over to the majors better than expected. If he completely tanks you can still pick a mediocre catcher off the FA list. That is for a yahoo default league where catchers are useless though. If your league uses 2 C's I'd take the known guy over him.

But the problem with their advice is that, by their own projections, Johima might get to .275, and 10 HR. Why take a risk on someone who might reach numbers that plenty of others have reached. They aren't saying that he will put up .275 and 10-15 HR with a chance of .290 and 20 HR...then it would make sense. Anyway, I'm not even saying I agree with those projections, I think they are a little low, but their message was contradictory.

Yep, I agree. Ender wasn't quite reading your message :,-(
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BGbootha » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:25 am

One more aspect to keep in mind, he is 2-2 stealing a base this spring!! And the last i read he is pretty aggressive on the bases. Could be a nice source of 15 SB!! I don't know, but if you can grab 15 SB out of a catcher thats fantasy money.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby number9 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:56 am

Grabbed him with around the 140th pick. If he doesn't pan out there will be replacement level catchers, no biggie.. yeah?
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby foulballstrike3 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:34 am

number9 wrote:Grabbed him with around the 140th pick. If he doesn't pan out there will be replacement level catchers, no biggie.. yeah?

Sure, don't hijack thread though. ;-D
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Owunyne » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:43 am

the boy has a gun for an arm.
he nailed figgins the other day no prob.
we'll find out what his bat is like soon enough
Owunyne
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers