Draft Orders that Stagger. Are these fair? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Orders that Stagger. Are these fair?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Orders that Stagger. Are these fair?

Postby The 3 Legged Dog » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:35 pm

I joined a league and the draft order staggers so everyone will get to draft first in a round. (Team #1 has the first pick in round 1; Team #4 has the first pick in round 2, etc.) so that each team will have the opportunity to draft 1st in a round at least once.


so the 1st rd will be 1-10

Then in Rd 2.
Team 4 has the 1st pick followed by 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 1, 2, 3.

Then in Rd 3.
Team 7 has the 1st pick followed by 8,9,10,1,2,3,4,5,6.

Has anyone done one of these style drafts before? Too me it seems unfair depending where you pick. For those who are knowledgeable on this can you shed some light for me and give your opinions on the best pick to have to the worst pick? Thanks.
The 3 Legged Dog
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 12
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:37 pm

That doesn't seem fair to me, you could be almost dead last in every round except for that one round where you get first, and that could be the latest round...
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 610
Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On the Mound

Postby rlee » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:47 pm

I was in a league last year that did something like that. The draft order was by round:
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 in round 1
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1 in round 2
3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2 in round 3
and so forth through the draft.

I did not like it as much as the normal sepentine or anke draft and I think we're changing to the more popular draft format this year.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1475
Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cordova, TN

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:55 pm

rlee wrote:I was in a league last year that did something like that. The draft order was by round:
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 in round 1
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1 in round 2
3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2 in round 3
and so forth through the draft.

I did not like it as much as the normal sepentine or anke draft and I think we're changing to the more popular draft format this year.


That seems extremely unfair. Why the need to mess with a normal draft??
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby rlee » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:57 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
rlee wrote:I was in a league last year that did something like that. The draft order was by round:
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 in round 1
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1 in round 2
3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2 in round 3
and so forth through the draft.

I did not like it as much as the normal sepentine or anke draft and I think we're changing to the more popular draft format this year.


That seems extremely unfair. Why the need to mess with a normal draft??


I was asked to join this league last year and apparently that was the way they have drafted for years. But apparently there is a groundswell in the league this year to change it.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1475
Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cordova, TN

Postby The 3 Legged Dog » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:58 pm

Here is a breakdown of the #1 position vs. the #10 position.


Draft Spot # 1 =

Picks 1,18,25,32,49,56,62,80,87,94,101,118,125,132,149,156,162,180,187,194,201,218


Draft Spot #10 =

Picks 10,17,24,31,48,55,62,79,86,93,110,,117,124,131,148,155,162,179,186,193,210,217.
The 3 Legged Dog
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 12
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:33 pm

The 3 Legged Dog wrote:Here is a breakdown of the #1 position vs. the #10 position.


Draft Spot # 1 =

Picks 1,18,25,32,49,56,62,80,87,94,101,118,125,132,149,156,162,180,187,194,201,218


Draft Spot #10 =

Picks 10,17,24,31,48,55,62,79,86,93,110,,117,124,131,148,155,162,179,186,193,210,217.

your number look a little off due to some duplication, but it looks like the only difference is really the first round, which is the most important. not fair at all.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby The 3 Legged Dog » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:39 pm

sorry about the typos. Team 10 has 62 & 162, Team 1 has 63 & 163. So for the most part we are in agreement that its unfair to an extent. Now with that said, in your guys opinions. Where would you want to draft? Obviously you want the #1 but take into consideration the other 21 rds.
The 3 Legged Dog
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 12
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

...

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:27 pm

I would want to be team 4 or 5. Those teams are picking in the top few picks in the first several rounds, when the best players are going to be available. This looks like a terrible way to draft in my opinion.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 655
Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Malibu

Postby Mugrila » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:30 pm

i just completed a draft (autopick) with this setup on cbs sportsline. i was really lucky and with the way i set up my rankings, ranking both players and what position to take each round, my team is incredible. in a 10 team league i ended up with pujols, arod, soriano, tejada, h. matsu, big unit, kind felix, b. wagner, etc. i can't see how this was at all fair to the other managers, but in the current situation, i'm not complaining.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Posts: 6597
Joined: 4 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact