A Fantasy League With REAL Playoffs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A Fantasy League With REAL Playoffs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A Fantasy League With REAL Playoffs

Postby pasha71 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:13 am

For some reason, virtually all of the fantasy leagues (on Yahoo, ESPN et al) have playoffs during the last weeks of the MLB regular season.

Well, I am thinking of starting a fantasy league with playoffs taking place during REAL MLB Playoffs.

How will it work? Well, we'll play in a regular Yahoo head-to-head league, and then eight best teams will make the playoffs. Just like in the real MLB playoffs, there will be three rounds. Every fantasy round will be based on the corresponding real MLB playoff round.

A league like that will be much more interesting than a regular one. The playoffs will be WAY more interesting to watch. Every player will have one more characteristic, which I'd call "playoffability". The goal of each manager will be to make playoffs -- AND to prepare a good "playoffable" roster for the postseason. A typical deadline trade will be "a good player from a bad team for an average player from a good team".

The only disadvantage will be the necessity to count the postseason stats by ourselves instead of letting Yahoo do that. But it's not going to be so bad, especially compared to all the excitement.

And I do know what I am talking about. I've been running fantasy hockey leagues like that (with real playoffs) since 2000. :-)

So, who wants to join?
pasha71
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dooz » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:53 am

playoffability?

tahts BS. you cant do a league this in baseball...only 4 teams make the playoffs, unlike 8 in hockey
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:28 am

You can't make a league like this because you'd have to have players from the playoff teams inorder to win...
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby theclefe » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:27 am

FantasyGURU802 wrote:You can't make a league like this because you'd have to have players from the playoff teams inorder to win...

You're a genius... That was his point.

It is an interesting concept and would generate more free agent and trade deadline moves. If anything, I would suggest you do a half season league, starting at the season midpoint that way you have a better idea of each players "playoffability" I don't think it would be as interesting to play a full 28 week regular season, only for the possibility of having my lineup become worthless come playoff time. If you start midseason, you will have only 12-16 weeks.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby FantasyGURU802 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:35 am

theclefe wrote:
FantasyGURU802 wrote:You can't make a league like this because you'd have to have players from the playoff teams inorder to win...

You're a genius... That was his point.

It is an interesting concept and would generate more free agent and trade deadline moves. If anything, I would suggest you do a half season league, starting at the season midpoint that way you have a better idea of each players "playoffability" I don't think it would be as interesting to play a full 28 week regular season, only for the possibility of having my lineup become worthless come playoff time. If you start midseason, you will have only 12-16 weeks.

Okay, so I didn't read the post all the way through... But I still don't think this would be a good idea, this would make teams have to choose from a slim area of players... Giving a few teams no chance at all because of the fact that they may only have 2 guys in the playoffs... And I don't know which site you would use to do this anyway, (example: Yahoo, ESPN), because as you said, they have their playoffs at the end of the MLB regular season...
[b]Member of the SGMKL[/b]
[b]THE FANTASY GURU[/b]
FantasyGURU802
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby number9 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:17 pm

This is interesting. The best 8 teams in the league make the playoffs, so strong players from weak teams will be valuable until you secure a playoff spot (difficult to determine), then you'd want to start dumping them for players on playoff teams.
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby justinA » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:42 pm

Horrible idea. Owners with players that will be in the playoffs, yet their team won't make it to the fantasy playoffs, will just hoard players making the "playoffs" ridiculously stupid.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers