ESPN and Joe Morgan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN and Joe Morgan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:55 am

I can't stand Morgan. He may know a lot about baseball, but his interviews and thoughts are horrible. For awhile, he was bitching about Billy Beane writing Moneyball--when he didn't write it. And it wasn't just once mention of it; he kept going on and on and on. How can you bitch about a book that you obviously didn't read (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt--if he read it, I hope he would know it wasn't Beane writing it). Also, last night he was wondering how in the world that Sosa didn't make the All Star game.

HELLO? Maybe his numbers suck and he's a cheater?

He drives me absolutely nuts. In fact, most tv announcers do. A few weeks back, when they had the guest announcer on Wednesday night baseball, it was great to have an old-timer; they actually talk about the current game, give info on the batters--just like radio. That's why I miss. Call me nostalgic...
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:02 am

There's a pretty simple reason Morgan doesn't manage. He's an immensely successful businessman with interests far removed from baseball. As for his broadcast abilities, he does a better job of explaining the intricacies and nuances of the game than anyone I've ever heard. He's the polar opposite of Angels cheerleader Rex Hudler, who chatters incessantly and never says a thing. But I also like Hudler, who wears his heart on his sleeve and has fun doing the Angels games. Actually, I like most of the broadcasters. I gave up getting aggravated over trivial matters a long time ago.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ukjohn » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:20 pm

Morgan is a great guy, and the best sportscaster, IMO

He would be a great Commishoner, and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes it after Selig leaves.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BobbyRoberto » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:42 am

I can't stand Joe Morgan or Rex Hudler. Hudler just sounds like an idiot to me and his rooting for the Angels from the pressbox makes me cringe. I can't watch games that he's announcing. Morgan is less annoying than Hudler but still very annoying in his own right. When he continuously criticized Billy Beane for writing "Moneyball," which HE DIDN'T WRITE, he sounded like a fool. I used to like Jon Miller, but now I've grown sick of him setting up Joe with moronic questions like, "So what is the batter trying to do in this situation?" Then we get to hear Joe Morgan explain Baseball Strategy 101 to us. "Well, Jon, he should try to hit a ground ball to the right side." Thanks for the insight, Joe.

I like Tom Paciorek, but don't get to hear him very often.

Jay Buhner occasionally does M's games and he's intolerable because every player on both teams in the game is "great" "super" "fantastic" or "spectacular." The players are his friends and he can't bring himself to be critical. He's even said of Jeff Cirillo, "Cirillo is a great ballplayer. Trust me, his numbers will be good by the end of the year."
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:08 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:I love listening to Joe Morgan...I like that he is "down to earth" when he talks... ;-D

Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are the ones I can't stand to listen to.. :-/

Ditto ... Hell triple ditto for Buck/McCarver ... I don't know if anybody has had a chance to hear the Padres Announcers, but they have had me in stitches a few times.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby timkell » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:46 am

I wonder if Morgan was pissed about Moneyball because he got dissed in the book? They talk about how during the A's playoff loss to the Twins, Morgan kept harping on how the A's can't "manufacture runs" because they don't steal, bunt, etc.

Even as the A's scored something like six runs in the first game and lost 8-6, Morgan continued to say this through the whole 5 games series. In the end, the A's scored more runs per game than in the regular season, but they lost because their pitching choked. Morgan still blamed it on the "manufacture" point.

In Moneyball, they basically statistically demonstrated how ridiculous Morgan's statements were.

Mayeb that's why he hates it.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zEli173 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:49 am

I'll take Jim Kaat over Morgan everyday.[/quote]

Jim Kaat!? JIM KAAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :-t

He has to be absolutely the most dim witted announcer in sports. His commentary could serisouly be mistaken for that of a 6th grader.

On the other hand, I have immense respect for Joe Morgan but my favorite analyist is Harlod Reynolds. That's a guy that knows every aspect of the game and would be a fanastic manager. Whatever else there is to being a manager, other than in game decisionmaking, Reynolds would handle it with ease.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:45 pm

Joe Morgan irritates me to hell.

There's one word that he uses a lot that he always pronounces weird and bugs the crap outta me. I can't think of what word it is though.

When he speaks it's like no personality. Like a robot. And I agree that he and Miller point out things like they're teaching a class as opposed to creatively making it sound like normal conversation.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby zEli173 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:54 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:Joe Morgan irritates me to hell.

There's one word that he uses a lot that he always pronounces weird and bugs the crap outta me. I can't think of what word it is though.

When he speaks it's like no personality. Like a robot. And I agree that he and Miller point out things like they're teaching a class as opposed to creatively making it sound like normal conversation.

point taken, all of what you said is valid criticism.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:54 pm

last season, when ron santo had a leg operation, the best broadcasting duo hit the chicago radio airwaves... pat hughes and steve stone. hughes can lull you to sleep with his voice, however he's got the gift of gab, which is helpful to paint pictures of what just happened and also to fill in the lulls of the game.

steve stone is one of the best colors i've heard, bar none. he knows what is going to happen and why, but he doesn't really let it dictate his on-air personality. sure, sometimes he can come off as smug and aloof, but on the other end of the spectrum, he ensures that you're going to get a good dose of baseball knowledge when it's all said and done. he's usually paired with chip caray, who is an annoying under-intelligent quasi-cheerleader announcer (but sometimes he acts stern when he tries to mildly criticize the cubs, as steve stone will tell it like it is when its his turn up, whereas joe carter always delved off into left field so chip could get away with being a homer)

nevertheless, the combination of a knowledgeable radio voice and a killer color man is what did it for me.

morgan = annoying, mainly because i've experienced quite a few games with him, and he really lets his knowledge-related ego come into play. mccarver = annoying, but there because he can relate to the lowest denominator non-baseball guy audience that fox is trying to reach, as the hardcores will watch irregardless. joe buck is like chip caray, or vice versa.. he's just more of a national guy. i think chip caray would like to be where joe buck is someday.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers