Diary of a Failed Catcher Strategy...it happened again. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Diary of a Failed Catcher Strategy...it happened again.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby swyck » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:53 am

With two C's starting how could you have been confident that a good one would be around in the 17th round? With only one C that is a reasonable strategy, but with two you have to grab somebody by round 13 or 14 IMO.

Grabbing JJ Hardy in the 19th, a pedestrian MI at best, before filling a starting position is foolish. At least I hope Hardy is not starting for you. If so then you have three mediocre starting spots.

Which leads me to another comment. There are a number of useful strategies for the first 10 rounds, but after that it gets a bit vague. I think you have to follow value, but you really need to look at your roster to make sure your needs are met. I'd rather draft a guy on my list a round early then to take a chance on them not getting back to me, and then be left with an inadequate player at a starting spot. When you're talking 13th round or later, the concept of value is a best guess anyway.

Did you have a ranking list, and were you keeping track of how many players were gone in each position? That's the best insurance on making sure you get your roster filled out correctly. It lets you wait when on positions, but also tells you when its time to make a move.

Of course Doumit may rock, in which case you got lucky.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants! » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:58 am

swyck wrote:With two C's starting how could you have been confident that a good one would be around in the 17th round? With only one C that is a reasonable strategy, but with two you have to grab somebody by round 13 or 14 IMO.

Grabbing JJ Hardy in the 19th, a pedestrian MI at best, before filling a starting position is foolish. At least I hope Hardy is not starting for you. If so then you have three mediocre starting spots.

Which leads me to another comment. There are a number of useful strategies for the first 10 rounds, but after that it gets a bit vague. I think you have to follow value, but you really need to look at your roster to make sure your needs are met. I'd rather draft a guy on my list a round early then to take a chance on them not getting back to me, and then be left with an inadequate player at a starting spot. When you're talking 13th round or later, the concept of value is a best guess anyway.

Did you have a ranking list, and were you keeping track of how many players were gone in each position? That's the best insurance on making sure you get your roster filled out correctly. It lets you wait when on positions, but also tells you when its time to make a move.

Of course Doumit may rock, in which case you got lucky.

I was thinking the same thing, there is no way you take a backup sleeper over what would be your #1 catcher in barajas
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mrider » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:40 am

You should pick up Toby Hall down the stretch last year Toby Hall was playing well his stats didn't look great but he played well down the stretch so I would nab him. Just a question how did Molina drop so low he played really well last year he hit 295 last year and this year I expect him to do much of the same.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:46 am

I have never lost a fantasy league for want of a better catcher. And I typically don't draft catchers until the last round. They're just not that fantasy-relevant, especially in deep leagues.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby swyck » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:51 pm

George_Foreman wrote:I have never lost a fantasy league for want of a better catcher. And I typically don't draft catchers until the last round. They're just not that fantasy-relevant, especially in deep leagues.

IMO completely punting a roster spot is not a winning strategy.

If you have two starting spots that are giving you .250 or less batting averages, you will be that much further behind someone who is getting .270 or more out of them.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby mrider » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:56 pm

Yeh I agree usually only 2 closers go before rounds 15 in a 8 team league so getting like Varitek then is a snag IMO because your not getting that much better in a different position.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:56 pm

[/quote]IMO completely punting a roster spot is not a winning strategy.

If you have two starting spots that are giving you .250 or less batting averages, you will be that much further behind someone who is getting .270 or more out of them.[/quote]

Well, last year I ended up with Benjie Molina and Ramon Hernandez at my drafted-in-the-18th-round-or-after Cs, so I wasn't exactly "punting" the category....

There are plenty of guys who will be around late (Willingham, Mathis) who should be able to produce similar numbers to Cs drafted 10 rounds ahead of them. I was even fine with Toby Hall as my C in my 20 team league.

And anyhow, I find that the difference between a round 10 SP and a round 20 SP is a lot bigger than the difference between a round 10 C and a round 20 C. That won't be true every year, but it is true this year and it certainly seemed like it was last year, too.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Idiot » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:37 pm

swyck wrote:With two C's starting how could you have been confident that a good one would be around in the 17th round? With only one C that is a reasonable strategy, but with two you have to grab somebody by round 13 or 14 IMO.

Yeah, it is not pretty. I an weak at SS too with Hardy, Greene, and Kinsler.

A link to my team -

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=177733&highlight=
Go OoooooOOOOoooooo'ssssss
Here we Go Steelers!!!
The_Idiot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers