Has Devine already locked up the closer spot in Atlanta? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has Devine already locked up the closer spot in Atlanta?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Gags Sports » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:47 am

nuggets wrote:How about Kyle Davies. BP projects him to have 92K in 30 IP, giving up 15 HR. 8-o :-b

I think some of the PECOTA projections don't matchup with their fantasy depth chart projections. ;-)

That's one helluva friggan strikeout rate!!!!

Not only would every out be recorded by K, but apparently McCann wouldn't be able to handle the other two third strikes.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wozzyck » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:24 am

nuggets wrote:How about Kyle Davies. BP projects him to have 92K in 30 IP, giving up 15 HR. 8-o :-b

I think some of the PECOTA projections don't matchup with their fantasy depth chart projections. ;-)

There probably are some mistakes in there, but you're just misreading their depth chart page in this case. Kyle Davies is projected for 30 IP as a long reliever and another 90 IP as a spot starter, for a total of 120 IP. ;-)
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:18 am

There's still a few weeks left to opening day so a lot can happen. Already, the news reports on the ATL closer situation have been inconsistent. Last week, the report was that Reitsma was "still" the closer. Now, the reports are that Devine is in consideration for the job.

IMO, Reitsma will likely start the season as the closer but on a very short leash. Devine has got better stuff, though, so I expect its only a matter of time before he gets and keeps the job.

Devine is definately worth a late-round pick or a grab off FA. I grabbed him myself off FA list last week. :-D
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JTWood » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:49 pm

I don't know if I'd say that Devine has the job right now, but of all of the probable, opening-day closers out there, I would say that Devine has the highest probability of stepping up and taking over Rietsma's job very early in the season.

If you have a holds league, you should draft him anyways. If you don't, take him as long as you can afford to have him take up a roster spot.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby stumpak » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:25 pm

Just because Cox says that Devine in the runnign does not him probable to be the closer.

Remember than when Kolb lost his job last season Cox proclaimed that Bernero was the closer and then proceeded to give him exactly zero save opportunities moving forward.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby killajl » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:38 pm

From rotoworld:

Manager Bobby Cox said Friday that the closer job is still Chris Reitsma's to lose.
"No reason not to use him right now, the way he's throwing," Cox said. Reitsma is getting some heavy competition from Joey Devine and Oscar Villarreal (pitching for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic). Mar. 18 - 9:49 am et
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
killajl
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:46 pm

This article really says nothing, but I thought I'd post it anyway. I think it gives some insight into the thinking process in Atlanta.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/NASApp/ml ... p&c_id=atl
Will Joey Devine be given a chance at the closer's role? I know he's young and had a shaky year, but he's the club's only true closer at this time.
-- Todd D., Simpsonville, S.C.

The most important thing to know about Joey Devine is that the organization still has the utmost confidence that he'll be a successful big leaguer. But let's not forget that last year at this time, he was in Raleigh, N.C., preparing to face collegiate hitters with aluminum bats.

Oakland's Huston Street and Washington's Chad Cordero have proven a collegiate closer can quickly become a successful one at the big-league level. Had he not suffered a hip flexor injury in his Major League debut, Devine might have traveled that same accelerated path.

That's not saying he's not still on that path. But at the same time, there isn't any reason for the Braves to rush his development by forcing him to prove himself as a big-league closer right now. It might be in everyone's best interest if he begins the season back in the Minors and regains the confidence that might have been shaken last year.

But even after allowing grand slams in both of his first two big-league appearances and surrendering the 18th-inning walk-off homer that ended the Braves' season, Devine was a standup individual willing to answer any and all questions with maturity and grace.

That is why his teammates, manager Bobby Cox and the rest of the Braves management believe he'll bounce back and be a key to the team's success by season's end. Also, they're all aware that he pitched with an injury in his first two career appearances and then made just three more regular-season appearances before being placed on the postseason roster.

However, I think your reference to Devine being the team's "only true closer" is unfair and inaccurate. Let's not forget that many of the best closers the game has seen -- standouts like Dennis Eckersley, Eric Gagne and John Smoltz -- all began their big-league careers as starters. Even Mariano Rivera was a starting pitcher throughout the majority of his Minor League career.

So just because Devine closed games with great dependability for North Carolina State over the previous three years doesn't mean he's any more suited for the closer's role than Chris Reitsma, who was named the National League's best closer in July.

There wouldn't be anything wrong with Reitsma beginning the season as the closer in the hopes that he'll be just as effective as he was before leg injuries hampered him in August and September.

At the same time, there's no reason to doubt Devine would be capable of filling the closer's role if Reitsma were to falter. But right now, there's no reason to rush a young pitcher like Devine, who has made a grand total of eight appearances in the Majors, including three playoff games.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:55 pm

Good info!! Sounds a little too early to be stashing Devine away on the bench though... don't really want the guy on my team for 2 months not doing anything.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:06 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Good info!! Sounds a little too early to be stashing Devine away on the bench though... don't really want the guy on my team for 2 months not doing anything.

You ever heard of K's and holds?
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:22 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:Good info!! Sounds a little too early to be stashing Devine away on the bench though... don't really want the guy on my team for 2 months not doing anything.

You ever heard of K's and holds?

most leagues dont play with holds and if you want K's im sur eyou can find someone better. Still a bit too early for me to jump on Devine. Reitsma is probably going to be the opening day closer and he'll get every chance to close out games.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers