Pelfrey or Anthony Reyes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Pelfrey or Anthony Reyes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pelfrey or Anthony Reyes

Postby JohnR » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:05 pm

I wasnt sure whether to put this in the ML forum or the trade forum, but I wanted some good feedback either way.

I have Pelfrey in my minors system, but some guy in my league (big mets fan) offered me Reyes straight up for him (both are $2). He's using the argument that Reyes may start the year in the STL rotation, and thus help my shaky pitching staff (I have prior and wood both starting on DL, and Clemens who may retire). Aside from the 3 just mentioned SP's, my rotation rounds out with Kelvim Escobar, Josh Towers, John Smoltz, Chris Young, the tandem of S Baker and F Liriano, and Edwin Jackson. (we start 4 SP every week, so you can see how finding 4 may be a little difficult for me). But every team is over the roster limits as well, so I'm expecting some pitchers currently on teams to be dropped before opening day as well.

I actually like Pelfrey more than Reyes long term, but of course, he hasn't even thrown a professional inning outside of spring training thus far. Should I pull the trigger on this deal right now? or should I wait to see if Reyes cracks the rotation? or should I hold off altogether and say no thanks and decide to wait to see if I can stengthen my depth through waivers once some guys get dropped?
The one constant through all the years has been baseball. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again...This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again.
JohnR
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbones733 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:06 pm

id keep Pelfrey his ceiling is much higher, of course alot can go wrong

your rotation is sufficent enough & down the road Liriano & Pelfrey should be a sick combo
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Hbj79 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:15 pm

I'd stick with Pelfrey for sure.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby warrick95 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:07 pm

Stick with Pelfrey. Even if Reyes is in the rotation this year, his impact on your staff will be minimal. Furthermore, Ponson is winning the battle for the last rotation spot handily so far.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lash » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:48 am

reyes will win several games a year he will pitch badly in due to cards offense, that's not counting the times he pitches well

pelfrey will be traded just when he approaches prime time (see Kazmir, Petit, etc.) and in an NL-only league that could be killer
Lash
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nathan050904 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:48 pm

Pelfrey. I think Reyes is slightly overrated. I don't like him that much actually.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sockeye » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:43 pm

nathan050904 wrote:Pelfrey. I think Reyes is slightly overrated. I don't like him that much actually.

I am interested in hearing more about why you don't like Reyes very much, since you've posted it a couple times recently. Can you explain a little more - you've clearly thought about him more than I have, so I am curious.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nathan050904 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:25 am

It's mostly just my expectations really. I don't forsee Reyes as a "ace" kind of pitcher. I see him more of a good middle of the rotation type pitcher. I have nothing against him personally. I just think some over value him. Another issue I have with Reyes and the fact I don't think he has what it takes to be an "ace" is the fact he is injured alot. I like Pelfrey alot more then Reyes because, I think his overall stuff is supperior to Reyes. I don't know if anyone else out there agrees with me but this is just my opinion.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball