What's the Right Player Mix? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

What's the Right Player Mix?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's the Right Player Mix?

Postby merc » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:17 am

This is my first fantasy baseball team (although I have played fantasy football for years), and after a Yahoo autodraft, I have been very busy with trades and drops/pickups from FA.... but now, in my quest for a roster full of the best available players, I find myself with only one hitter on the bench, and three pitchers.

I loaded up on pitchers, since after looking at the rosters of owners who have played FB for years, they had more pitchers than hitters, but still... I now think I might need to dump a pitcher???

So, I ask all you experienced FB owners out there... is there a generally accepted and sucessful mix of hitters and pitchers using our scoring system?

Here is my info:
10 Team, H2H, Redraft Yahoo League.
Scoring: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, IP, W, SV, K, ERA.

Fielders(C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3 OF, 2 Util):
C - J. Posada
1B - R. Howard
2B - C. Utley(1B), R. Weeks
SS - D. Jeter
3B - D. Wright
OF - M. Ramirez, P. Burrell, C. Crisp, K. Mench, C. Granderson

Pitchers(2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P)
SP - A. Pettitte, B. Webb, N. Lowry, D. Davis, B. Penny, D. Cabrera, A. Harang
RP - M. Rivera, B. Lidge, J. Valverde, C. Ray

Thanks for your help and advice!!!
Take Care,
merc
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheGhostWhoWalks » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:05 am

That is not a bad team at all. I might drop Harang and pick up someone like Scot Shields, and maybe try to flip Mench for an of who can give you a few stolen bases, as you are prettylight on those, but overall, good job.
TheGhostWhoWalks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:17 am

You probably only want one hitter on your bench and it would be nice if he were a guy that can play all over the place so he can sub in for people on their days off.

Most teams carry extra pitchers because with daily transactions H2H you can sub in starters and get more K's and W's in general doing it. Some people like to sub in a RP or two and go for WHIP/ERA instead which works fine as well, especially if the RP have potential to get a closers job and you might luck into big time value with them.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Magna » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:39 am

i think you've created a solid team. i wouldn't go so far as to drop Harang though. I think he's a sleeper going into the season and i don't really see Shields coming close in value. That being said, you have amazing Closers, so if harang starts off strong, i would probably try to combo him or one of your other SP with an outfielder to get either a stud OF or a strong SP
Magna
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:14 pm

You've got a great team there Merc. Careful not to tinker with it too much prior to the season. Managers sometimes get itchy trigger fingers and make moves or deals just for the sake of making changes. I also like Harang going into this season, I would hold on to him.

You do have a lack of speed though, and although having four closers isn't a bad thing by any means, you may want to try and flip one of them for a speedy guy at some point in the season, maybe after you've got a good head start on saves. ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby merc » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:53 pm

Thank you everyone, for all the great advice! ;-D

I do have an itchy trigger finger, and partially asked this question because I know I need some speed/SBs and want to trade some Pitchers for an SB guy.

One possibility is going after Pods... who is on the team with which I have already traded twice this pre-season.

Thanks again to everyone who offered help!!!
Take Care,
merc
Minor League Mentor

Postby merc » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:31 pm

Err.. MOVED???

I put it into the sub-forum which listed "Strategy" as one of it's domains....?
I really didn't intend for anyone to rate/analyse my team, but only for folks to talk about what player/position mix is the best strategy to use with our scoring system...

Regardless, thanks to everyone who offered me help and advice, no matter what forum this thread was placed! :-)
Take Care,
merc
Minor League Mentor

Postby JohnnyBenchBest Ever » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:36 pm

Good team I'd keep Harang (K's) he's going to bust out this year.
JohnnyBenchBest Ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:57 pm

merc wrote:Thank you everyone, for all the great advice! ;-D

I do have an itchy trigger finger, and partially asked this question because I know I need some speed/SBs and want to trade some Pitchers for an SB guy.

One possibility is going after Pods... who is on the team with which I have already traded twice this pre-season.

Thanks again to everyone who offered help!!!

Analyze/Rate my team is the right forum for this kind of question. Threads get moved all the time, no biggee.

Why not ask the other manager what he'd want for Podsednik and see what he suggests? I do that a lot to feel other managers out and see what they're thinking.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team