I need serious catcher advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I need serious catcher advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I need serious catcher advice

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:58 am

OK, I've had Greg Myers most of the season but it appears he is having the inevitable slowdown, as predicted by most obervers. Besides that, he hasn't even played the last 4 days and his counterpart (Tom Wilson) has been on fire.

Can anyone clue me on the Toronto catching situation? I thought it was Myers vs. righties, Wilson vs. lefties but this doesn't seem to be the case. Also, any ideas for improving myself at this position, even if I revert to the revolving door pickup/drop method? I wanted Victor Martinez but someone else had the waiver priority on him. :-C Any ideas for possible sleepers?
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:04 am

pick up victor martinez from cleveland. he's just been called up from the minors and has huge HR potential.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:11 am

thanks DK, but read the last sentence of my post...someone else got Martinez via waiver priority. :-[ Any other ideas?
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DK » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:19 am

aah i missed that... 8-o ah well. hm... id need to know who was taken... of the C's, i mean...
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ramble2 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:20 am

Ugh, the dreaded catcher position.

Is Charles Johnson available? His road stats are awful, but his home stats are pretty good. Check out the splits:

home: .324, 7 hrs, 31 RBI, 1.006 OPS 8-o
away: .137, 3 hrs, 7 RBI, .455 OPS

So starting him at home seems okay, but then you'll need another catcher to plug in when the Rockies leave the mountain air. And using two spots for a catcher is frustrating. You could just pick up whomever has a good matchup that week (e.g., look for teams playing againt Detroit, Tampa, Cleveland, etc.), but that obviously isn't an ideal solution.

You might also check out Toby Hall. He's nothing great, but he plays somewhat regularly and he has plenty of potential (or so they say...).
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby RoxSox8 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:33 am

I just picked up Hammock from Arizona, who is a catcher in Yahoo, but has spent most of his time at 3B or OF and should qualify soon for both. He also has a little speed, which is rare at the catcher position. His downside is that he doesn't play every day, although he has played most days recently. Also, keep an eye on Lecroy for Minn. who is inching his way closer to being eligible for catcher. For Yahoo, a player needs to have 15+ games to qualify for that position.
I'm not Mr. Lebowski man, I'm the Dude.

Red Sox Fan
Rockies Fan
RoxSox8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:08 pm

Are Bengie Molina and Toby Hall available? If Wilson really is gonna be playing everyday, might as well turn to one of these guys. Molina has been putting up surprisingly good numbers and is a good fill-in catcher. Hall seems to be heating up a bit and could be really good.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers