Vlad vs. Manny - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vlad vs. Manny

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vlad vs. Manny

Postby Howie » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:58 pm

I was just wondering why Vlad is a consensus pick over Manny. Don't get me wrong, im a huge fan of Vlad, but the way i see things...

Runs: equal
HR: advantage Manny
RBI: advantage Manny
AVG: advantage Vlad
SB: advantage Vlad
Injury risk: advantage Manny (as he's not really an injury risk)

What are your guys opinions about this?
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:08 pm

I admittedly have chosen Vlad over Manny at pick three, but I do agree that you have good points. I guess it's just a feel pick, as I just keep expecting Manny to slow down considerably one of these years. I guess while Manny may be less of an injury risk, I just see Vlad as a 'safer' pick to put up .300 35 120 than Manny. But like I said, you do have a very valid point.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Doughhead » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:13 pm

Good point. These guys are closer than some seem to think. I would also suggest that batting average isn't necessarily advantage Vlad.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Pokey » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:16 pm

I was under the impression that Manny was the consensus pick over Vlad. That's how it should be, imo.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby orange12 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:16 pm

Alot that goes into Guerrero being drafted ahead of Manny is Vlad's potential. (Remember '01 and '02? Everyone expect him to be 40/40 one day.) When Vlad's healthy, his HR and RBI numbers are not that far off from Manny's but he bats alot higher and has greater speed as you mentioned. Also there's the issue of age. Vlad is still only 30 and in the prime of his career while Manny is a good 4 years older. At this point in Manny's career, people are going to draft cautiously knowing the inevitable years of decline can begin anytime in the next 2-3 years.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:20 pm

Doughhead wrote:Good point. These guys are closer than some seem to think. I would also suggest that batting average isn't necessarily advantage Vlad.

Vlad ussaully has had slight edge in batting average the last few years. Last year was a slightly larger gap than normal.

I agree with the other people sentiments that Manny and Vlad are very close in value. Manny also of course has the risk that he could be traded midseason to a team with a weaker lineup.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby NZF » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:22 pm

All things being equal, Vlad should get another 50 AB's. Manny will sit for at least 10 games and maybe only PH in another 10.

At season's end that could prove the difference.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dannyolbb » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:51 pm

Honestly, I'm picking Manny over Vlad this year. And I'm not taking either in my top 5 or 6.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Vlad's younger and faster. If he plays a full season, he is better than Manny in Fantasy Baseball.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby baseballrich » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:02 pm

The reason Vlad is picked over Manny is 2 fold. First the SB is much greatr (imagined) with Vlad. Many believe he can stil steal 30. If I own him I hope he doesn't because of the injury factor. Second is the "head case factor". Again many believe that Manny will take a few games off (like he did a few years ago) if he gets ticked off - again. I do rank Vlad over Manny by 2 spots but you can't go wrong with either. PS - It's UNBELIEVABLE to see some of the pitches that Vlad hammers
baseballrich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers