New DC Ballpark! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New DC Ballpark!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New DC Ballpark!

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:06 am

appears to be a pitcher's park as well.

I wonder if they had a hard time deciding what to do w/ that 'c'mon, we need some more HR to get people in here, if we can get 'Fonso to play OF, he could jack 50 if we move the fence in!' 'heck no, we've put together a tasty little pitching staff, let's go that direction' as the fences moved back and forth? :-D

link ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:38 am

i like retro parks but its cool that they decided to go a completely different direction.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby stumpak » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:42 am

It's a neat looking stadium.

And I have to agree that the retro parks are becoming a little trite now that they are a dime a dozen. The original ones like Camden and some of the later ones like Pac Bell are quite nice, but the trend in retro parks is more toward the goofy and ridiculous like Minute Maid.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JakeTrain72 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:58 am

Yea good ol HOK. Don't get me wrong I do like the firm (I think Ellerbe Beckett may be a tad bit better, but that's just me). I guess I am a little bitter in that being a White Sox fan and getting our "New Comiskey" being so bland, then seeing Camden and a slew of other parks designed by HOK shortly afterwards that have MUCH more appeal being built makes me a little upset.

But as a baseball fan, I love the improved look and designs of the new stadiums. It is great to see them unique and have their own quirks and looks. It looks like there will be some prime tailgating area on top of the parking garages! Great View, B-B-Q and Brew!
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:13 pm

Here is another article on the ballpark from a local washington paper.

The title of the story is "This is it?" so as you may have guessed this guy is not to thrilled with the look of the new stadium.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby number9 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:16 pm

Yeah, finally a non-retro modern ballpark, that's good for variety. Jake, at least you don't have the SkyDome, that place has negative atmosphere unless it's packed to the rafters (don't even get me started on Japanese ballparks, while the great retro revolution was going on in the States in the 90s, Japan kept on building more nondescript domes! :-[ )
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JakeTrain72 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:35 am

number9 wrote:Yeah, finally a non-retro modern ballpark, that's good for variety. Jake, at least you don't have the SkyDome, that place has negative atmosphere unless it's packed to the rafters (don't even get me started on Japanese ballparks, while the great retro revolution was going on in the States in the 90s, Japan kept on building more nondescript domes! :-[ )

I'll give you that one. Domes are a very tough sell. Basically if isn't snowing, raining, or blistering hot at the present moment the game is being played, it really dampens the atmosphere. Hence the evolution of retractable roofs. This is DC, can't stray too far left or right so I am not surprised to see a fairly "safe, yet modern" styling in these initial renderings.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers