Worst Offense Ever - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Worst Offense Ever

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Worst Offense Ever

Postby shmolex » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:19 am

Ok, So Here's the thing. My league counts R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, K, AVG for hitting. Before the draft, I was thinking of punting HR and RBI to get a huge advantage in the other categories. But then one of the guys at the end of the snake took both Figgins and Rollins at once, which completely blows my strategy. Combine that with the person in front of me taking Lugo and Winn right before I was going to leads to this disaster.

C J. Kendall
1B J. Kent
2B R. Canó
3B N. Garciaparra
SS D. Eckstein
OF I. Suzuki
OF J. Damon
OF W. Taveras
Util P. Polanco
BN R. Baldelli
BN R. Durham

SP Jo. Santana
SP R. Halladay
SP J. Smoltz
RP Fr. Rodríguez
RP T. Hoffman
P M. González
P C. Orvella
BN C. Sabathia
BN C. Young
BN J. Seo

The way I see it is this. I should win K and AVG for hitters pretty much every week, and I can give a decent run in the R, 2B, 3B, and SB each week. I think the pitching is pretty solid, but it seems like I'm going to have to win probably 6/8 pitching categories each week. Here's what I'm thinking. I think I should trade Kent to get 1 more good starter. The only thing he adds to my team is HR and RBI, 2 things that I'm not going to need with the rest of my crappy lineup. That way, my pitching should be able to carry me through the season. What do you think?
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shmolex » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:43 pm

bumpy
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Worst Offense Ever

Postby Thursday » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:12 pm

shmolex wrote: But then one of the guys at the end of the snake took both Figgins and Rollins at once, which completely blows my strategy. Combine that with the person in front of me taking Lugo and Winn right before I was going to leads to this disaster.

And here, my young friends, is why we don't embark on strategies like this. Lesson learned, i hope.

I actually don't know what to tell you. You're going to need to do a lot of scouring the waiver wire this season. Look for sleeper picks and breakout dudes.

You also didn't list what pitching categories you use, although I imagine that they're probably pretty standard overall. Your pitching staff is good, but not excellent. At least you have Santana and Halladay.

Good luck this season....
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby schmidty » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:54 pm

You're probably in for a long summer. The thing is, you're not just punting HR and RBI. You're essentially punting 2B too (unless you get really lucky, any halfway decent balanced lineup will beat you here). Punting a cat is a chance. Punting 3 of 8 sounds crazy. At best you go 5-3 in a week, but you could go 1-7 (and most times you'll go 2-6 or 3-5).

You're pitching is in better shape. RPs is strong, and your top 2 starters are outstanding. SPs are a little shaky past the top 2, so trading for another SP could be good. The thing is ... your offense is so bad, your pitching has to go 5-3 or 6-2 every week for you just to break even overall.

I would try to fix the damage in your offense and take some chances. Scout for promising undervalued hitters on WW (like Wilkerson, Gibbons, Encarnacion, Crosby). Maybe you can scoop up guys like JD Drew or Thome and take a chance. Look for guys desperate for SBs and trade Taveras and/or Baldelli. You have 4 closers -- maybe overkill in H2H. Trade them for value. Kent, Cano, Polanco, Durham -- you don't need this many 2B. And maximize your lineup -- don't play Kent at 1B. Don't part with Santana or Halladay, unless you can get someone to massively overpay for them. And keep 3 of the 4 closers.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby shmolex » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:10 pm

how about kent for rollins?

I dont know if he will accept though. I may have to part with 1 of my closers as well.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby EugeneStyles » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:49 pm

That offense... is horrible. Is there a Chris Shelton, Justin Morneau, Mike Sweeney, Lyle Overbay, or SOMEBODY on waivers to play 1st so you can either trade Kent or play him at 2nd?

If, on the off chance, Edwin Encarnacion or Josh Willingham is available on waivers, pick them up. Definitely dump Durham. Nomar might have a good comeback, but I think he's done.
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby footballmaniac » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:06 pm

That is pretyt bad offense. You may want to trade your closer(s) for offense. You may want to even consider trading .. god forbid ... Santana for 2 offense bats. Try look for players like Hermida and Zimmerman. This is after you package a couple of your offensive players and plug these "prospects" into your lineup. You have to think outside the box because, if you dont, you wont even compete and the season will suck.

help me?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=176971
footballmaniac
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shmolex » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:03 pm

Encarnacion, Overbay, and zimmerman are available. I think that if I can get Rollins or Figgins for Kent and plug in Overbay, I'm in a pretty good position for R, 3B, SB, AVG, and have a virtual lock on K. I might have to overpay for either one, but I think my situation significantly improves.

Should I target Figgins or Rollins?
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby abstractpoet » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:03 pm

Yes, since you decided to go for this strategy, the worst possible thing would be to go for it in a half-assed way. So definitely pick up Overbay. And definitely try to work out a package so you can get Figgins or Rollins (preferably Figgins, but take what you can get). I don't think Kent will be enough, but maybe some package involving Kent.

Thanks for answering mine.
abstractpoet
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shmolex » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:25 am

well, I stuck to my guns, punted HR and RBI every week, got SB and K every week, and with my core pitching staff of Santana, Halladay, Clemens, Smoltz, and Bedard, I cruised to a 9 game lead finish in 1st place, and am now playing in the finals for the league title.

guess this experiment actually worked, although I must say I was really lucky with injuries.

Final lineup:

C Lo Duca
1B Nick Johnson
2B Figgins / cano
3B Lowell
SS F. Sanchez
OF Suzuki
OF Damon
OF D. Roberts
Util L. Gonzalez

SP Santana, Halladay, Smoltz, Clemens, Bedard
RP Hoffman, Torres, Timlin, Valverde
Last edited by shmolex on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team