Jonny Gomes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jonny Gomes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jonny Gomes

Postby thegilby » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:33 am

Will he be good this year? ESPN magazine says he's overrated because his OPS dropped each month. I thought people were high on him but second thoughts?
thegilby
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:48 am

He will not repeat last year. I don't think that he is worth much at all in fantasy in the near-term or the long-term. I am not going to go so far as to say that he is like Bucky Jacobson after 2004, but maybe more like Craig Wilson after 2003.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:58 am

The power and ability to walk is for real, the batting average will slip. Nobody expected him to maintain a 1013 OPS llike he had in June, his July and August were right in line with each other and then in september he dropped off some but still posted a .825 OPS.

If he plays full time I"d expect something like a .255 average and 25-30 HR's out of him with 10-15 SB. Not a superstar but still a useful player.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:24 pm

i like him. not a super star but solid player. 30 homers and 10-15 steals is nice. he could possibly be a 2nd outfielder in a 12 team league but i like more as a 3rd outfielder. his ops decreased each month when he started playing full time, but i think thats partly because it started at over 1.000 and worked his way down to a more reasonable .800ish.

bucky jacobsen never had the track record gomes has and was 30 before getting his cup of coffee. craig wilson was injured last year. i think i understand your point, but i dont agree with the comparison. gomes didnt exactly come out of nowhere.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... omes.shtml
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers