The next MVP??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

The next MVP???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The next MVP???

Postby The Mad Hatter » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:12 am

Which prospects do you consider to be MVP contenders in the future? I am in a keeper league and looking for advice.

Please note: these could be players that are 5 years out from the bigs. I am especially looking for high school stars or signed players from other countries. Please help!!
The Mad Hatter
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SkeetNation » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:40 am

Anyone predicting HS players as MVP's ought to have their head examined.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
SkeetNation
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Zito is God » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:45 am

SkeetNation wrote:Anyone predicting HS players as MVP's ought to have their head examined.

I tend to agree, HS hitting/pitching is far from college, which is far from the majors. I could really care less about HS stats when picking an MLB MVP...

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Sultans of Squat » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:39 am

Well, it would not be a stretch to think Justin Upton has as much a shot as any prospect at winning an MVP some day.

Anyway, I don't know about you guys, but seems to me that most players who are MVP caliber (now and past) didn't play any college ball. To me, if you're gonna say it's silly to predict that any HS prospect might eventually win an MVP, then you might as well just say it's silly to predict ANY prospect for that period. :-?

I'm guessing the OP was just asking who has the kind of achievable upside for a good shot at an MVP some day -- not necessarily that he will actually win an MVP. I guess you guys would not have suggested ARod or Junior or various others to eventually become MVP caliber players when they were still prospects.
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:41 pm

A few guys with huge upside:

Jose Tabata-17 yr old kid with the yankees. he the the potenial to be an amazing player (years away)

Ferando MArtinez- Another 17 year old. He is a mets prospect. Has a great swing and could also be a future all star (though he has yet to play in the minors.)

Daisuke Matsuzaka- a all star pitcher from Japan. He is young (mid twenties) and might not be posted until after the 2007 season (though he could be posted this year). He has a great fastball and throws with the new Japanese delivery. This motion (unseen in the the western hemisphere) allows him to throw the Gyroball, which is leaves the hand like a fast ball, looks like a hanging curve ball as it approaches the plate, then at the least instant breaks incredibly. The only worry is how much stress has pitching in Japan put on his arm (he threw a 250 pitch 17 inning game in highschool and has since been over worked)
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:43 pm

And the top college pitcher is Andrew Miller.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby sj2k » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:48 pm

For far away I am thinking justin upton, though be aware he will probly be moved to CF, but has the upside of griffey in his prime. Of course delmon, but he is boring everyone knows about him. felix, but he is already up, but in a keeper league I would go after him hard before he proves he is the best.

please help http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 50#1413750
sj2k
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ScarletP » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:28 am

If you're looking for a Cy Young contender a few more years out, my 9 month old son has been picking up and throwing balls with his left hand. He seems to like a curve-ball grip. A lot of potential there. I'll keep you all updated.
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:49 am

ScarletP wrote:If you're looking for a Cy Young contender a few more years out, my 9 month old son has been picking up and throwing balls with his left hand. He seems to like a curve-ball grip. A lot of potential there. I'll keep you all updated.

:-b I'm trying to teach my 14 mo. old how to throw a curve too. Also his swing is comparable to a young Ken Griffey Jr.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:20 am

My 23 month old twins are going to be Cy Young and Rolaids relief man award winners...the older one is obviously a Billy Wagner in the making since he can throw equally well with either arm even though he favors the right (meaning that he can make the switch to the left when he trashes the right). The younger puts me in mind of Jake Peavy - he talks to himself a lot while he's throwing the ball (none of it in English) and looks really intense. He's got the fire in his belly I tell ya...a fierce competitor. Watch out in 20 years!!!
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball