What do you think about starting "The Run"? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you think about starting "The Run"?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Jury » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:02 am

Thriller wrote:The benefit I'm mullling over is being able to solidify one area of my team and then look elsewhere the rest of the draft.

Steals and saves are really the only two categories you can lock down with 2 top guys.

I'm just measuring this strategy at 3/4 or 5/6 against others to see which I feel more comfortable with.

You can't lock down saves with 2 top guys. They simply give you benefit of very good peripheral numbers. Other closers can match them in saves.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:03 am

as Frank the Tank learned, it takes more than 1 person to start a run, and for a run to happen, there have to be enough close players to the first 3 to be worth picking. This is why it wouldn't work at the 3/4 corner with closers and generally wouldn't work at all until the 7th round for closers. the value just isn't there. you can also try it with low #2/ high #3 SPs, but it really all depends on if the distribution is even or not.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:43 am

RugbyD wrote:as Frank the Tank learned, it takes more than 1 person to start a run, and for a run to happen, there have to be enough close players to the first 3 to be worth picking. This is why it wouldn't work at the 3/4 corner with closers and generally wouldn't work at all until the 7th round for closers. the value just isn't there. you can also try it with low #2/ high #3 SPs, but it really all depends on if the distribution is even or not.

:-b :-b

I agree with this. You're hurting yourself by not getting great value for your 3rd 4th round picks. A top closer helps in saves, but his peripherals aren't enough to really move your team to the top (they don't pitch enough innings to help significantly). Also, if you spend two picks and no one follows, than they're a waste. I'd rather grab another stud hitter and a possible SP in the 3rd and 4th than a closer.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:54 am

I've been in 3 drafts and a couple of mocks so far and have not actually seen any runs breaking out. The first closer goes, and everybody kind of raised eyebrows at the live draft, and then went back to 'best available players' or whatever. Similarly, VMart (who did go a bit early, IMHO...) didn't bring Mauer out.

Also, I had KRod and Nathan on a team last year, trying the 'hmm...I can just rule Saves!!' and it didn't really work out for H2H. I ruled saves ok but every now and then one of them would 'miss' a 2 save week and pfffft...there goes another week...not worth the 'investment' in a straight draft. Unless they are the best available player that is... :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby sharksfan1139 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:23 am

i like the idea...everyone will be caught offguard and you might get them to freak out and leave the comfort zone of their strategy

sharksfan1139
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Cow » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:54 am

I think RP is deeper this year in terms of guys that have stable jobs. If I were you and I'm not I would draft one closer say in the 4th, though you should be able to wait until the 5/6, but take a Lidge or whoever in the 4th since you want a top guy then take some other closers a bit later.

the only reason you have Weathers and Reitsma is becaus eyou passed on some good guys in round 5-12.

Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tgalv » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:04 pm

sharksfan1139 wrote:i like the idea...everyone will be caught offguard and you might get them to freak out and leave the comfort zone of their strategy

or they just laugh to themselves and think you're a dumbass.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers