How to sort stats on yahoo? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to sort stats on yahoo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to sort stats on yahoo?

Postby tal1286 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:10 pm

Basically my motivation for asking this question is I just realized that eric Gagne is ranked top 5 if you sort by totals on yahoo. But if you sort by averages he is a whopping #888!!! Does this mean anything? I don't really think so but its interesting at least. What do you guys think?

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:46 pm

Most pitchers don't hit for average. What exactly do you want to know?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Longshot » Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:22 pm

um.. great point tal..
Hank Blalock is The Truth
Longshot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Aggie_Eric98 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:37 pm

This is only a guess but it may have to do with the point that he is averaging 0 wins 0 CG 0 SHO and only 1 IP per game. If you notice several relievers are at the bottom of averages, MacDougal, Valverde, Mesa, and Baez. But thats just my guess, I never have sorted by averages.
Aggie_Eric98
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tal1286 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:58 pm

Madison-You must think that I'm really stupid. There's a menu choice on the stats page that says "sort by" You can either do it by totals for the year or by average hits per game for example. Aggie understood what I meant. No, I'm not dumb enough to think that Gagne should be hitting for average. Anyway the reason I asked was that someone said that Matos was ranked like number 5 if you sort by averages rather than by totals and I was wondering how much weight that should carry. I've never really used that option either.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:13 pm

tal1286 wrote:Madison-You must think that I'm really stupid. There's a menu choice on the stats page that says "sort by" You can either do it by totals for the year or by average hits per game for example. Aggie understood what I meant. No, I'm not dumb enough to think that Gagne should be hitting for average. Anyway the reason I asked was that someone said that Matos was ranked like number 5 if you sort by averages rather than by totals and I was wondering how much weight that should carry. I've never really used that option either.

Lol. No I don't think you are stupid. I really don't. I lend absolutely no weight to Yahoo rankings. I've seen the worst trades in my life in Yahoo leagues, all because of the ranking system they use. People get caught up in what a player is doing now, instead of what that player will most likely do the rest of the season. I play with the stats at Yahoo and I misunderstood what you were trying to figure out. My mistake. :-X
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thehat » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:43 pm

Yahoo ratings are absurd, and should NEVER be used as anything more than amusing fodder for discussion.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby DanteNoX » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:03 pm

Yahoo ratings ARE absurd - but how do they work? I'm curious to see what equation they use to come up with the number values, because they seem so random.
Yankees for life
DanteNoX
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:37 pm

Matos is down to #14 overall now. Expect some fluctuation, but he is producing well enough to merit serious consideration on many teams.

Aggie Eric hit it right on the head. RP really only get 1 category, so when you average their 5 category totals, they get the short end of the rankings.

It is a bit more reliable with hitters. What it is doing, is averaging offensive categories (AB's R, RBI, HR, SB, not sure if they use average as well.) and ranking the players based on their per game production in each of the categories. Matos has fallen to #14 overall since the updates. Soriano leads the hitter's list. Sheff, Beltran, Pujols, Delgado, Boone, Bonds, then Matos surprisingly high in the mix.

Matos was once a top prospect. He's contributing well in all categories, and thus places high when ranked by contributions per game. He is buried down in the overall rankings because he's only played in about 30 games.

Players that follow Matos are also valuable contributors. Javy, Nomar, Brian Roberts, Corey Patterson, A-Rod, Edmonds, P Wilson, Ichiro

Brian Roberts ranking so high also surprised me, but in part convinced me to grab him as well. I'm desperate for a spark at 2B, and steals never hurt. He's hitting for average, and the team is rolling. Grabbing Matos last night has already paid off for me. Not so much his 3-5 1-run performance today, as it was dumping Aquilino Lopez off my roster so he wasn't in there for 3 ER in 0.0 innings.

Regardless, the more info you arm yourself with, the better. I agree Yahoo's player rankings, the O-Rank is somewhat garbage. The actual rankings (Rank) based on production seem to do a good job of ranking top players, and helps in identifying 'movers'. For pitchers it is a little more ambiguous, but you can still get some good info if you filter the crap out.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers