Homer Bailey - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Homer Bailey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Homer Bailey

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:20 pm

Highly touted prospect from the Reds organization. 7th overall pick 2 years ago. B+ grade(same as Scott Olsen) from John Sickels.

Every scouts love him. But why? Can you guys explain?

I know he's only 20 now but in his first full season professionally with A Dayton. He posted an ERA over 4 and a WHIP over 1.4. Granted. His k/9 and hr/9 looks pretty and he has a k/bb ratio just above 2/1.

But a 4.43 ERA from a top prospect in A ball?

Just curious to hear some thoughts. ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nathan050904 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:27 pm

RotoAmerica.com

Bailey is your prototypical Texas redneck: he hunts, wears a cowboy hat, and he collects wild boar tusks. Ooooookay. He also happens to be the Reds’ best hope for a homegrown #1 starter in some time. He has the frame (6’4”, 190 and still filling out) that you want in a power pitcher and his arm currently allows him to throw mid 90s heat consistently. It also has great movement and while he struggled at times with his command, he’s shown the ability to locate it well in the past. Has a nice downward curve that should be a plus pitch as well with his fastball, and also tosses a change that is still developing. With the Reds’ history of first round pitching busts (Howington and Gruler first and foremost), the Reds will continue to baby Bailey as he progresses to High A this year. Probably doesn’t see Cinergy Field until mid-2007 at the earliest, but you never know with the pitching-starved Reds.

Inside The Dugout
Not much negative can be said about this young ace in the making. Baseball scouts drool when they watch Homer pitch in games these days. At age 15, Bailey was clocked at 89mph and each year his velocity jumped. In his first high school game he struck out 10 batters over 4 perfect innings and was clocked at 94 mph. Two of Texas’ most famed pitchers haven’t even received the adjectives “easy” and “smooth”, and those two are stellar pitchers themselves. Bailey possesses a fastball and curveball that are tops amongst all pitching prospects, and his command easily ranks him in the top 10. Some scouts even say that the Brewers made a mistake when selecting Mark Rogers over Bailey, who is obviously a better choice. There is no doubt in my mind that Bailey has ace written all over him and should be the Reds #1 SP within the next 2 years. ETA: 2008
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:13 pm

I love his curve/FB combo. The FB tops off at around 95 while the curve has a giant bite to it. The thing is I think he is groomed for a closer because of the absense of the third pitch (changeup is mediocre) as well as he fatigue. The Reds are in deseperate need of starters though and likely will not move him.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:15 pm

Zito is God wrote:I love his curve/FB combo. The FB tops off at around 95 while the curve has a giant bite to it. The thing is I think he is groomed for a closer because of the absense of the third pitch (changeup is mediocre) as well as he fatigue. The Reds are in deseperate need of starters though and likely will not move him.

Most all pitchers 1 year out of H.S. lack a third pitch, it doesn't mean they will be a closer. It just means they never needed it in H.S. and now they are trying to refine it in the minors.

Anyways he is loved by scouts cause mostly of what has been said already. He has one of the best FB/curve combo's in the minors and his delivery is so easy and fluid. The causes for concern are that he needs to find his control, though w/ his delivery I think it will come along. The more questionable thing about him to me is that he doesn't love baseball and has admitted as much. He is very much a outdoors/cowboy type guy who plays baseball because he is very good at it, so I question his desire to be very good.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SkeetNation » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:43 am

Bailey is currently working on a change in Spring Training. According to the Cincy Enquirer.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
SkeetNation
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball