Chef quits South Park - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Chef quits South Park

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chef quits South Park

Postby RugbyD » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:25 pm

sure he can dish it out, be he can't take it. i can't stand those type of people. i doubt the character will disappear though. they easily replaced the one lady that offed herself a few years ago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... 8531c.html

Hayes has lost faith in 'Park'

After 10 years on Comedy Central's foulmouthed, anti-establishment animated series "South Park," Isaac Hayes wants off because he finds the show's attacks on religion inappropriate.
Word is that Hayes was upset with an episode that aired in November, "Trapped in the Closet," that attacked Scientology, of which he's a follower. He asked the show to be released from his role as the sexually charged Chef.

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry toward religious beliefs of others begins," Hayes said in a statement.

"As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices," he added. Hayes' reaction stumped some, because the show that spawned "South Park" included Santa and Jesus in a death match, and throughout the run the producers have skewered various religions and celebrities.

"This has nothing to do with intolerance and bigotry and everything to do with the fact that Isaac Hayes is a Scientologist and that we recently featured Scientology in an episode of 'South Park,' " Matt Stone, co-creator of 'South Park,' said in a statement. "In 10 years and over 150 episodes of 'South Park,' Isaac never had a problem with the show making fun of Christians, Muslims, Mormons and Jews. He got a sudden case of religious sensitivity when it was his religion featured on the show. To bring the civil-rights struggle into this is just a non sequitur. Of course, we will release Isaac from his contract and we wish him well."
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:43 pm

This article is a prime example of writing a story and trying to make one side look better than the other.

It makes Hayes look like a strong individual for standing up and risking his job (or leaving his job) for a bigger cause.

I find it funny how the article doesn't mention anywhere that the creators are Jews and make fun of Jews more than any other religion on the show.

Does it make what they say about any religion right? That is up to each individual to decide and they have the right to watch what they want. I just have an issue with the way this story was writtin.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ironman » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:12 pm

Scientology, the best religion $50,000 can buy! ;-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Minor League Skilz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:57 pm

It is OK. They won't miss him. I think it would be funny if they kept the Chef character but just got some ridiculous voice to play him now. I am thinking Mr T.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:13 pm

ironman wrote:Scientology, the best religion $50,000 can buy! ;-D

:-b
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ironman » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:16 pm

Minor League Skilz wrote:It is OK. They won't miss him. I think it would be funny if they kept the Chef character but just got some ridiculous voice to play him now. I am thinking Mr T.

Even better would be if they made Chef look slightly different as well, like he was replaced by a different actor (i.e. Darren on Bewitched, or Becky on Roseanne).
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Zito is God » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:18 pm

American hypocricy at it's finest! :-D

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:41 pm

They need to replace his character with Tom Cruise (one that looks like him, but not his voice obviously since he would never do it)! That would be hilarious.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:29 pm

I love it. They make fun of black people all the time, not to mention every other type of religion, but ripping on Scientology crossed the line? Issac Hayes dropped a few notches in my book and not because he's a Scientologist, but because he's making a statement that dictates it's okay to make fun of everyone else's religious beliefs except for his. Very classy move, Ike. :-t
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:09 pm

Phatferd wrote:This article is a prime example of writing a story and trying to make one side look better than the other.

It makes Hayes look like a strong individual for standing up and risking his job (or leaving his job) for a bigger cause.

I find it funny how the article doesn't mention anywhere that the creators are Jews and make fun of Jews more than any other religion on the show.

Does it make what they say about any religion right? That is up to each individual to decide and they have the right to watch what they want. I just have an issue with the way this story was writtin.

It doesn't say anything about Parker and Stone being Jewish because all comedians are assumed to be Jewish unless it is stated otherwise.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk