Am I overreacting? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Am I overreacting?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Am I overreacting?

Postby seniorpaul » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:05 pm

I'm in a 10 team 5x5 keeper money league where we keep 5 guys each year. I've won this league the past two seasons. This is the first season that we've been unable to get together for a draft at someone's house, so were doing an online live draft on Yahoo. Our commish set up our draft so that the first 5 rounds will be our keepers, but in order for the last place team to get the first pick in the 6th round (first non-keeper pick), that means that i have to pick first overall. I'm a little bit upset with this because that means that i will have the #10 waiver priority going into the season. The #1 WW is important to me for a couple of reasons. FIrst, this is a keeper league, so picking up players who are called up can be important. and second, i work a lot, and at strange hours, so i can't "jump" on players (hot streaks, injuries, etc..). I've basically been told that since i've won the past couple of years that i should just shut up and deal with it. Am i overreacting with wanting things to be set up fairly?
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:08 pm

Yes you are over-reacting. In most leagues if you win the previous year you get last pick and last waiver priority. It is to try and even out the playing field. Congrats on the two wins, but don't get greedy, you should have to work to win.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby dooz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:09 pm

what do you want to be done?

i mean, its not like you are getting the 10th pick AND the 10th waiver pick.

i dont see what your problem is, what do you want? first pick and first waiver?

this isnt the special olympics, the playing field isnt always level. and i can see why your league isnt in a hurry to accomodate your preferences when youve won two years running.

i think that the last place team should get to decide thier draft position, moving up from the bottom, with each team selecting where they want to draft. id much rather go in the middle then on an end if i had a choice.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby seniorpaul » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:12 pm

i AM getting the last pick and last wiaver priority. I'm picking first overall, but the first 5 rounds are keepers. So in the sixth round, which would be the first round of actual picks, i'll have the #10 pick.
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:15 pm

This is normal and fair. Really, I think too much is made of waiver priority. Most people end up wasting it anyway.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:16 pm

That is how I'd set it up as well. Seems the most fair solution with yahoo's keeper setup.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby dooz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:18 pm

my bad, i mis-read your post.

thats why you gotta use an even number of keepers.

i think you will be okay, especially if you won two years in a row.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:19 pm

Is it a Yahoo plus league? I'm thinking it is because your commish is already inserting your keepers ahead of time for the live draft. If it is a Yahoo plus league, then you have to be the last pick. It doesn't start off in the middle of the snake draft process whether it's an odd or even round. If you get put first pick in a Yahoo plus league where players have been put in before the draft, you will have first overall pick of the players that are left. We run our keeper on Yahoo and I always win too :-] and I always have 12th pick every year.

If it's not a Yahoo plus league, then you will have to moved like you're saying. Your commish doesn't have the ability to insert keepers in a regular Yahoo league. Also, through Yahoo you can edit waiver positions.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby dooz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:21 pm

ukrneal wrote:This is normal and fair. Really, I think too much is made of waiver priority. Most people end up wasting it anyway.

where were you when i was debating my waiver situation? :,-(
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:23 pm

I agree that you're over-reacting. Since it isn't a redraft, you the winner should have the last pick AND the 10th waiver. At least that is how I'd set it up. Has this always been this way?
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers