Pitchers...I don't need no stinking pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Pitchers...I don't need no stinking pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitchers...I don't need no stinking pitchers

Postby cubsfanone » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:11 am

I've had my first draft of the year and wanted to get some input. Standard Yahoo league, 5x5, mixed, 12 team. I focused on hitters early since I believe there to be plenty of depth in starting pitching this year.

C: AJ Pierzynski
1b: Jim Thome
2b: Craig Biggio
3b: Alex Rodriguez
SS: Jimmy Rollins
OF: Carlos Beltran
OF: Adam Dunn
OF: Barry Bonds
Util: Travis Hafner
Bench: Aubrey Huff
Bench: Mike Cameron

SP: Tim Hudson
SP: Joe Blanton
RP: Joe Nathan
RP: Francisco Cordero
P: Livan Hernandez
P: Javier Vazquez
P: Ryan Dempster
Bench: Francisco Liriano
Bench: Oliver Perez
Bench: Brad Penny

Thanks for the input guys. Leave me a link to your posting if you rate my team and I'll be sure to return the favor.
cubsfanone
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theoismyhomeboy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:39 am

Dude, you are going to absolute mash the ball. I agree with your strategy completely, especailly since good hitters are more predictable than good pitchers. A couple of other thoughts: Judging by how much power you've got, maybe you should find someone a little bit different than Biggio. His upside is that he hits 20+ HRs from a weak position...but you don't need that at all. Look at the wire for a 2B who runs a bit more and plays every day and hits for a good average. Dunn, Beltran, and Thome I think are underrated, so good picks there, but they will not hit for high BA. Bonds will, but with limited ABs, so his BA has much less an effect on your team than let's say Rollins will because he'll have ABs coming out the wazoo. Considering your hitting, I think your pitching is fine and should be middle of the pack at least. I like the potential you have stashed away on your bench as well.

If you're interested I have an excel spreadsheet that I made, very simple, that I used to add up my teams projected stats (ESPN.com's projections) and the other teams' stats in my league, and then I gave everyone a rank and roto score. This way I could see my strengths and weaknesses more easily before the season started. In your case you would be able to see if according to projections would your pitching not totally suck. I don't think it will.
theoismyhomeboy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RGreener26 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:41 pm

Suggestions:

1. Get rid of Oliver Perez

2. You have too much OF depth. You're benching Huff and starting Biggio. You need to trade for a 2b ASAP.

3. I would trade Blanton while you can. He is gonna do bad this year.
RGreener26
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AZmog » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:54 pm

you have a ton of power but there is a bit of risk in your offensive players. Thome, Bonds, Biggio and to a degree Dunn have injury concerns and/or other concerns (Bonds). You need to find a way to get Huff in the lineup or deal him to upgrade at 2b. Get some speed and average. winning the runs, hr's and rbi category will not matter if you struggle with average.

Your pitching is decent but it will not win you the championship. I am suspecting this is a roto league and not head to head.
I would be hoping Oliver Perez jumps back into the fold and has a great season because you need k's.

prediction: If Beltran shows up this year and injuries stay away you will run away with the power numbers but will struggle with average. Your pitching will be middle of the pack leaving you in probably between 3rd-5th in the league depending on how others drafted, assuming it is a roto league.
AZmog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dep » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:23 pm

Should the injury bug leave your older guys alone, you've got serious lumber in that line-up.

I'm not big on Bonds. He may prove me wrong and do well, but there is a lot of stuff going on in the back-ground that may have some say in how he does.

Your pitching has some bright spots, but not sure if they, as a unit, are top rung.

I'm new at this draft stuff...so take my words with a grain of salt.

Good luck this season. ;-D

Dep
Dep
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:25 pm

I'd try and trade Dunn myself. He is going to hurt your average, and you could probably get a good 2nd baseman for him. Beltran will do better this year, I believe. I am not high on Bonds either. If you have someone in your league that likes Bonds, I'd try and trade him off now while you can, for another outfielder that is a little safer. While your pitching is okay, when the season starts, I'd have a few of those pitchers on short leashes. Be looking on the waiver wire for other pitchers.

THanks for the advice on my team!
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team