question for REDSOX NATION - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

question for REDSOX NATION

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

question for REDSOX NATION

Postby bucksox » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:34 am

I drafted Foulke toward the end of my draft. If he returns to form it will be a great pick up. My question is what is the word about if he falters? Should I pick up Hansen in my minors? I have heard he has the most likely chance to be next in line. Any input?
bucksox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ClarkAddison » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:49 am

If Foulke faulters a more likely move would be that Papelbon moves to closer, Arroyo is the set up guy along with Timlin. The rotation would be Schilling, Wakefield, Clement, Beckett and Wells.

Longer term - perhaps towards end of this season or next year - Hansen targeted for closer position with Papelbon moved back to being a starter. The Red Sox really want Hansen to get more work as reliever at the Triple A level before bringing him in to this spot right now.
Last edited by ClarkAddison on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClarkAddison
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

re

Postby aardvarks » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:49 am

I haven't heard anything lately but I believe it will be Timlin.
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 87)

Postby PocketRockets » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:53 am

I also hear Timlin would fill in for Foulke
PocketRockets
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:38 am

Timlin then Hansen.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:40 am

So they are gonna actually start Wells instead of Arroyo, that must suck for Red Sox fans~. I'm sure his back will act up and he'll be on the DL by june so at least you don't have to watch him pitch that long.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ClarkAddison » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:59 am

Ender wrote:So they are gonna actually start Wells instead of Arroyo, that must suck for Red Sox fans~. I'm sure his back will act up and he'll be on the DL by june so at least you don't have to watch him pitch that long.

Not really - if you look at Wells and Arroyo's numbers for last year they are almost identical. Now Wells is a year older and coming off knee surgery so the edge goes to Arroyo. But if they keep both Arroyo much better suited to operate out of the pen than Wells. I still expect at some point one of these 3 to get dealt - Wells, Arroyo or Clement.
ClarkAddison
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:11 pm

I don't know why people are saying timlin...

Paplebon is the guy who will close if foulke falters. Tito wants Paplebon to close. They only way that it would be someone else is if the FO mandates that Paplebon must be in the rotation. Francona has said on many occasions that he loves Paplebon as the closer.

The Red Sox don't like Timlin as the closer, so he will likely stay at setup regardless of what happens to Foulke. The only reason he closed last year is because there was no other choice.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:28 pm

This questions was addressed at redsox.com a couple of weeks ago in the mailbag q & a. Timlin will be back at his role as a set up man. The concensus on redsox message boards seems to be the closing duties would fall to either Papelbon or Hansen...although I wouldn't expect to see Hansen until late this year. I don't see Arroyo getting the thumbs up to take Foulke's place. Although I really like Arroyo out of the bullpen. But I agree there's a good chance Arroyo gets traded soon. My bet is Papelbon.
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby hersch223 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:36 pm

As far as Foulke goes, ESPN ran on its ticker yesterday that he had "artificial fluid injections" in both knees. I have no idea what that is, but it doesn't sound good.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers