How are they not showing US/Korea live on TV? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How are they not showing US/Korea live on TV?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:15 pm

I don't know about Korea, but in Japan the season usually starts mid march which puts them about 2 weeks ahead of us. The Latin teams generally play winter ball heavily and are in great game shape.

I highly doubt you will find a time to play this thing without interrupting MLB or one of the other leagues so it probably is the best time to have it but it seems obvious watching guys like Teix that they simply are not in game form yet. Spring training exists for a reason and skipping that time frame can be hard on players.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Boyakasha » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:32 pm

I'm sick of people constantly making excuses for why the US is losing. The players seem like they're taking the losses hard, but at least they're not making excuses. The realize, unlike some fans, that you don't win simply by being the US.
I, for one, am really enjoying the way the foreign teams are playing the game, especially Korea. I was skeptical of the WBC, but I'm fully onboard now; I think it's been awesome, despite the US's rocky play.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:39 pm

Well its not just the US I'm talking about. Look at how bad Abreu, Piazza, Soriano, Teix etc did. These guys didn't even get the ball out of the infield. Its all about timing and it just isn't there yet for them.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:07 pm

To say the US does care is obsurd. DId you read Chipper Jones comments? He said that he this event is the best experience of his career. Better than the Allstar game,better than than the world series. The players are loving it. If ESPN would give it some air time this thing would be huge.

The other teams (espcially Cuba) are playing this differently. THey are making sure their best players get all the at bats. If guys want to be be on the WBC roster, but aren't the best players they should understand that they are not going to get a much playing time. A-rod, Griffey, and Lee should play every day.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:13 pm

thedude wrote:To say the US does care is obsurd. DId you read Chipper Jones comments? He said that he this event is the best experience of his career. Better than the Allstar game,better than than the world series. The players are loving it. If ESPN would give it some air time this thing would be huge.

The other teams (espcially Cuba) are playing this differently. THey are making sure their best players get all the at bats. If guys want to be be on the WBC roster, but aren't the best players they should understand that they are not going to get a much playing time. A-rod, Griffey, and Lee should play every day.

:-? :-? :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:37 pm

If you really think Chipper Jones believes the WBC is the best experience of his career over a couple of WS's, then either you know Chipper to be a fool or you are very naive.

I can see it on the HOF placque...Chipper Jones....
...played in the WBC.

Does anyone remember who won the Grapefruit league season last year?...didn't think so.

And no one will care about this idiotic WBC come May 1st.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:07 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:If you really think Chipper Jones believes the WBC is the best experience of his career over a couple of WS's, then either you know Chipper to be a fool or you are very naive.

I can see it on the HOF placque...Chipper Jones....
...played in the WBC.

Does anyone remember who won the Grapefruit league season last year?...didn't think so.

And no one will care about this idiotic WBC come May 1st.

You have to have a sense of patriotism to understand.

He plays the regular season and the playoffs for money. He is playing in the WBC to represent his country.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby HiddenIdentity » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:58 pm

I was watching this live and I just turned it off because it got pathetic after Arod swung at a pitch that was close to a mile off the plate for the strikeout and Chipper grounded into a double play even after the shortstop fielding the ball fell down twice. :-t
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:43 am

I've missed most of the US team's outings but the PR/ Venezuela game last night was pretty good and DR/ Venezuela tonight was a great game too. I nodded off before I got to the end of Japan and Mexico but, even though the runs were scored early, the players were pretty into it.

The fans in Hiram Bithorn are GONZO as well, riled up by dancers on top of the dugouts... ;-D

and, to add another unusual measure of the quality of baseball being played...Soriano has been BENCHED by the DR team in favor of Placido Polanco LOL... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Wharton93 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:37 am

It's a whole lot less about taking it seriously and much more about timing of the event and general preparedness.

The top league in Cuba is in mid season at the moment and took a break for the WBC. They are reasonably well prepared.

The Asian teams not only started playing in the WBC sooner (March 3), but also were playing exhibition games back in late February against the defending champs (Chiba Lotte). The Japanese pitchers are well into 100-pitch stamina. In round 1, pitchers were supposed to be limited to 65 pitches. Japan's 3 SPs all went 60+ and averaged 64.33. Peavy threw 27 in the US Opener. Only Clemens went 60+ and he was the last SP to make an appearance in round 1 and had the most time to get ready.

japan 1
japan 2
japan 3
US 1

The USA Manager is not only committed to playing everyone..but is on the record as stating that he will *start everyone at least once as well. It is spring training for these guys. Of the top 50 players in the WBC with most ABs, only 3 are USA whereas there are 8 for DR, 8 for VZ, 8 for Japan, 7 for Cuba and 6 and 5 for everyone else. If you want to win, play the same 8 guys every day and bat Ichiro leadoff...no problem. The USA team, like it or not, has other priorities.

For a lot of MLB players, on all country teams, it seems to be mostly an issue of timing and preparedness. Makes sense given the offseason rust and the timing of this tournament.
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers