How are they not showing US/Korea live on TV? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How are they not showing US/Korea live on TV?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheGhostWhoWalks » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:39 am

They have to give them playing time, and all the teams are doing that if they have major leaguers on them. It was a committment they made to baseball. Making errors does not mean you are not trying to win, that's just plain crazy.

It is insulting the players to say they are not trying to win. They wouldn't be there if they were not.
TheGhostWhoWalks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:43 am

TheGhostWhoWalks wrote:They have to give them playing time, and all the teams are doing that if they have major leaguers on them. It was a committment they made to baseball. Making errors does not mean you are not trying to win, that's just plain crazy.

It is insulting the players to say they are not trying to win. They wouldn't be there if they were not.

Derrek Lee would not be on the bench if they cared that much about winning.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby TheGhostWhoWalks » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:03 pm

Again they made a committment to MLB, as did all the teams using ML players that they would all get time and get their work in.

How difficult is that to understand? All of the teams are doing this with the players that play in the majors.
TheGhostWhoWalks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:08 pm

TheGhostWhoWalks wrote:Again they made a committment to MLB, as did all the teams using ML players that they would all get time and get their work in.

How difficult is that to understand? All of the teams are doing this with the players that play in the majors.

Which is just a fancy way of saying, this is spring training.

If they were serious about winning, Lee would be playing. Leiter wouldn't be on the team. They are getting everyone playing time because it's spring training. Not because they actually think benching a red hot Derrek Lee is the way to go.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby TheGhostWhoWalks » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:14 pm

So because they are honoring their committments they are not trying to win.

Give it a break. The players they put out there as the second string are still better than most of the starters on Korea's team. You just lose sometimes, not because you are not trying but the game breaks the way. I don't recall an undefeated season ever in the history of baseball so far, including the 1927 Yankees.

The players are playing to win, that is obvious if you watch the game and are familiar with the game of baseball.
TheGhostWhoWalks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:19 pm

TheGhostWhoWalks wrote:So because they are honoring their committments they are not trying to win.

Give it a break. The players they put out there as the second string are still better than most of the starters on Korea's team. You just lose sometimes, not because you are not trying but the game breaks the way. I don't recall an undefeated season ever in the history of baseball so far, including the 1927 Yankees.

The players are playing to win, that is obvious if you watch the game and are familiar with the game of baseball.

It is obvious you have not watched any of the US games yet. I have been recording every game and watching every game. There has been a big difference in the way other teams have played versus how US has been playing. You can say what you want but US clearly is not taking this tournament as seriously as Korea, Japan, etc.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:21 pm

I'm not sure I can say they aren't taking it seriously however they do need to get everyone playtime even if its not the best setup for winning the game and the players are not in game form yet. Most of the other teams are in mid season form, not spring training form.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Boyakasha » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:27 pm

Michael Barret's blog:
http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/200 ... sp&sid=wbc

Some interesting stuff about the idea that they're not trying to win:
There were a lot of nasty comments in the stands by the fans out of frustration. "Are you guys trying?" Stuff like that. People need to understand these teams that we're playing aren't slouches at all. They play really good baseball. It just goes to show how baseball has grown in other countries. To true baseball fans, that's really exciting. One thing that baseball has been hoping for is a real World Series.

I want people to understand we're all frustrated. It's hard to understand -- first, the Koreans play quality baseball. The Korean first baseman [Seung-Yeop Lee] hit a home run -- he's nicknamed the "Lion King." He's got five home runs in this thing. I'm thinking, why isn't he over here playing [in the Major Leagues]? No. 2, we're doing everything we can as a team to win. We want to win as bad as anybody out there. Now we can beat Mexico and still be at the mercy of the tiebreaker system. It's out of our control.

There was some concern that Derrek Lee is hurt. I think he's OK. He didn't play because it was his turn to sit. Everybody wants D-Lee to play because he's one of the hottest hitters but there are other guys on this team who are here for a reason. It was their turn to play.

Frankly, I think the idea that they're not trying their hardest to win is embarrassing. As a fan, I don't buy into the idea that "Oh, it's ok if the US loses because they're just viewing this as a tuneup." I think that's embarrassing and pretty egocentric (what the US is so superior that no one even has a chance? give me a break).
If the US has the best team (and I don't think anyone's doubting that we do), then go out there and win the damn thing. If we lose, then give respect to the other team and maybe learn a thing or two about team baseball.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Ender wrote: Most of the other teams are in mid season form, not spring training form.

Not true. Japan/Korea is on the same timeline. They are putting people out there that will help them win the game. Not so that players can get their ABs and warm up for the regular season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheGhostWhoWalks » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:30 pm

Yoda wrote:
TheGhostWhoWalks wrote:So because they are honoring their committments they are not trying to win.

It is obvious you have not watched any of the US games yet. I have been recording every game and watching every game. There has been a big difference in the way other teams have played versus how US has been playing. You can say what you want but US clearly is not taking this tournament as seriously as Korea, Japan, etc.

Seeing as how I have already said I watched them all, thank you for calling me a liar. The best to you. Mo need to bother reading your crap anymore.
TheGhostWhoWalks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers