Oliver Perez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oliver Perez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:35 pm

If that many people really thought he could get 15 wins and that type of ERA, I think people would be drafting him higher than he's being taken right now. At present, I think most people consider him a sleeper type pitcher who could bust out and be a huge bargain in the late rounds.

Seriously...we're talking about the Pirates. They haven't had a 15 win starter in the last 5 years...the last one they had was Todd Ritchie with 15 in 1999. The last time before that was Drabek in 1992, also with 15 wins.

Do you really feel that the Pirates are SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year? I don't, and I'm a huge Pirates fan. :,-( I just don't see this club hitting .500 again this year with the talent they presently have. It's hard to have a 15 win season with a sub .500 team unless you're insanely good.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:42 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:If that many people really thought he could get 15 wins and that type of ERA, I think people would be drafting him higher than he's being taken right now. At present, I think most people consider him a sleeper type pitcher who could bust out and be a huge bargain in the late rounds.

Seriously...we're talking about the Pirates. They haven't had a 15 win starter in the last 5 years...the last one they had was Todd Ritchie with 15 in 1999. The last time before that was Drabek in 1992, also with 15 wins.

Do you really feel that the Pirates are SIGNIFICANTLY better than last year? I don't, and I'm a huge Pirates fan. :,-( I just don't see this club hitting .500 again this year with the talent they presently have. It's hard to have a 15 win season with a sub .500 team unless you're insanely good.

I don't think anyone is drafting a Pirates pitcher for the wins.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jsphlly » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:45 pm

My Perez projections -

10 W, 190 K, 85 BB, 4.05 ERA, 1.35 WHIP

Assuming decent health (180-200 IP) I feel those are pretty reasonable and well worth a round 15+ pick.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dewey finn » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:46 pm

I'm having trouble deciding between him, DCabrera or Bedard to use my end picks on.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby sammyfan711 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:12 pm

Barry once called his stuff the best in the biz from a LHP.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Zito is God » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:39 am

Yoda wrote:
Zito is God wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Zito is God wrote:He'll have a nice bounceback effect IMO. I see RJ type K numbers with 15 Wins and a sub 3 ERA.

This is a joke right?

No, its not, I see most agree with me...

Expecting sub 3.00 era from Ollie is like expcting Dunn to hit over .300.

OP has actually posted sub 3 ERAs before while Dunn has never hit.300, get your facts straight.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:20 am

I just don't get how everyone says OP is "toast," when he's still a kid at 24 and he's recently had a season with 239 k's in 196 innings and an era/whip of 2.98 and 1.15. The detractors are writing off that season as if it never happened - maybe they're all guys who got burned by him last year.

That being said, I would probably go with D-Cab ahead of him for the wildcard end-round guy, especially after watching him destroy opposing batters in the WBC last night. But still, rumors of OP's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:56 am

Yoda wrote:
Zito is God wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Zito is God wrote:He'll have a nice bounceback effect IMO. I see RJ type K numbers with 15 Wins and a sub 3 ERA.

This is a joke right?

Ollie has done it. I don't know how you are so quick to discredit a 196 inning season with an era of 2.98 and a .207 BAA.

He totally changed his offseason routine last year and got burned. I'm not sure how you think it's sooo impossible for a kid to have a bas season and rebound. It's not like 2004 was a fluke, he had a k/bb of 3/1.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:02 am

11 W, 181 IP, 4.32 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 172 K

I just don't see him having his control the entire season and the Pirates are not a good team offensively.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby The Jury » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:13 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Zito is God wrote:
Yoda wrote:

This is a joke right?

Ollie has done it. I don't know how you are so quick to discredit a 196 inning season with an era of 2.98 and a .207 BAA.

He totally changed his offseason routine last year and got burned. I'm not sure how you think it's sooo impossible for a kid to have a bas season and rebound. It's not like 2004 was a fluke, he had a k/bb of 3/1.

That may be the fluke right there. The K/BB, and hence control issues, are all that hold Ollie back from becoming a top pitcher. If he can get his control down, then he'll be a monster, but so far he hasn't shown good control since 2004.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers