WBC Performances have anyone worried? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WBC Performances have anyone worried?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WBC Performances have anyone worried?

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:28 pm

Though the WBC is confirming expected/hopeful performances of some (i.e., Jeter 6/12, J Lopez 4/9, ARod 7/14 ...) it's also showing some poor performances from ... Ichiro 4/17 (.235!), Soriano 0/11 (yikes), Abreu 3/14 ( .214..), and M. Teixeira 0/8 (ouch!).

Right, right, I understand things like small sample size and non-season expectations ... but still -- does this info downgrade or upgrade players' positions on your cheat sheets?

See:

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/200 ... 60&sid=wbc
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:31 pm

No.

This is spring training. Cheat sheets should not be affected.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:35 pm

Do we view WBC as S.T.? Isn't WBC a tad more legitimate? I doubt we see players "testing out batting strategies" and "working out the kinks" etc etc at WBC level competition....
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Xtreemes » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:46 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:No.

This is spring training. Cheat sheets should not be affected.

agreed.
I don't care what the level of competition is, they just came off the offseason. Theres a reason that they have spring training for more than a month before every season, players need to get back into game shape.

Besides that, the sample sizes are reallllly small. If Teixeira went 0/8 during the season (hitless in 2 games), or Ichiro went 4/17 would you even worry then? I wouldn't
Last edited by Xtreemes on Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mugrila » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:51 pm

WBC may be a bit more competitive than ST but it's still nothing to take too much stock in.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby AT » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:53 pm

The only thing I'm looking at in the WBC is if some of my sleepers or potential comeback players are swinging a good bat. And from what I can tell Adrian Beltre is killing the ball and Beltran looks good. I'm not reading into the numbers, but rather the way they appear to be playing. I'm not saying they'll be their old self again but if you have a hunch on certain guys, it's at least encouraging.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:40 pm

AT wrote:The only thing I'm looking at in the WBC is if some of my sleepers or potential comeback players are swinging a good bat. And from what I can tell Adrian Beltre is killing the ball and Beltran looks good. I'm not reading into the numbers, but rather the way they appear to be playing. I'm not saying they'll be their old self again but if you have a hunch on certain guys, it's at least encouraging.

Very well put AT. I'm encouraged as a Beltre owner, but not too worried as an Abreu owner.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Athe'eTeddy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:31 pm

zambrano has been bloody terrible...

correction: had been bloody terrible
Last edited by Athe'eTeddy on Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Mueller is a better than average third baseman.
Athe'eTeddy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: WBC Performances have anyone worried?

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:13 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Though the WBC is confirming expected/hopeful performances of some (i.e., Jeter 6/12, J Lopez 4/9, ARod 7/14 ...) it's also showing some poor performances from ... Ichiro 4/17 (.235!), Soriano 0/11 (yikes), Abreu 3/14 ( .214..), and M. Teixeira 0/8 (ouch!).

Right, right, I understand things like small sample size and non-season expectations ... but still -- does this info downgrade or upgrade players' positions on your cheat sheets?

I would not worry. As you said it is a very small sample size(Tex 0-8 is like 2 bad games in May). If some of these guys are still batting .100 after 30-40 at bats i might begin to be worried, if not overly concerned.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers