Tips to Online Poker? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Tips to Online Poker?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tips to Online Poker?

Postby RyanK » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:37 pm

I just lost 40 bucks in about 3 hours... I did some pot limit games but didnt like that at all, then i went to no limit .25 cent blinds... it seemed every good hand i was either out kicked... i made one bad play trying to bluff aces to a guy who had pocket Ks.

are there any tips to playing online? im good with live games im up probably 300 or so at school
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GSes » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:47 pm

my tips are simple, and i belive are the way to win at lower levels of online poker 50 cent, 1 dolar, 2 dolars, 4 dolars big blinds.

rule 1: if u dont flop it, fold it. AK, AQ, KQ, etc all look real nice preflop, if u dont hit on the flop DO NOT fire at the pot like u see on tv, u have to check and fold.

rule 2: ALL pairs 22-99, NO set, NO bet! dont raise wit these hands preflop, all u want is a set, if u dont get it, fold it.

rule 3: 1010 and JJ, u prob should raise preflop but if u get reraised b4 the flop, it is VERY VERY likely u are beat.

rule 4: there are only 3 hands u play super agressive, AA, KK, QQ. Play them hard. win big pots.

rule 5: Dont raise wit crap like AJ, A10, KQ, KJ, K10 preflop, it will only cost u money.

Finally small pairs (99) and down and suited connectors, just limp in and try to make a huge hand and when u miss just fold, it didnt cost u much to get in there!

One more thing, try to play small pots if u dont have the nuts. If u flop top pair with a decent kicker, DONT put all ur money in the pot, make a little bet, if u get raised ur prob beat, but proceed on instinct. there is the idea that u have to protect hands and move all in, not true!
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BGbootha » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:35 pm

GSes wrote:my tips are simple, and i belive are the way to win at lower levels of online poker 50 cent, 1 dolar, 2 dolars, 4 dolars big blinds.

rule 1: if u dont flop it, fold it. AK, AQ, KQ, etc all look real nice preflop, if u dont hit on the flop DO NOT fire at the pot like u see on tv, u have to check and fold.

rule 2: ALL pairs 22-99, NO set, NO bet! dont raise wit these hands preflop, all u want is a set, if u dont get it, fold it.

rule 3: 1010 and JJ, u prob should raise preflop but if u get reraised b4 the flop, it is VERY VERY likely u are beat.

rule 4: there are only 3 hands u play super agressive, AA, KK, QQ. Play them hard. win big pots.

rule 5: Dont raise wit crap like AJ, A10, KQ, KJ, K10 preflop, it will only cost u money.

Finally small pairs (99) and down and suited connectors, just limp in and try to make a huge hand and when u miss just fold, it didnt cost u much to get in there!

One more thing, try to play small pots if u dont have the nuts. If u flop top pair with a decent kicker, DONT put all ur money in the pot, make a little bet, if u get raised ur prob beat, but proceed on instinct. there is the idea that u have to protect hands and move all in, not true!

WOW this is pretty much my playbook to a T online, couple things I would change is that I don't play QQ aggressively, I have been bit by it too many times, QQ is a medium raise or raise if limit) if no K, A hits the board then I get aggressive.

One more thing about online, make sure you look into online poker rooms deposit bonuses, i don't know where you played but they change every month. Its FREE money, for instance right now pitbull poker is giving away 10 free bucks just for signing up a play money account (no deposit required) and then on top of that they are giving you 200% for a $100 deposit!!! That means you go there get your 10 bucks free without putting in a dime and then you make your deposit (up to) $100 bucks if you hit 200 pitbull points you get your bonus.

If you use these bonuses right and pay attention to who is offering what you could in theory simply play tight enough to break even (and if you play tight online you won't break even you will win) you play for a week or two with minimal play time and you will end up winning $100 bucks or whatever the bonus is.

Then if you do it right you should have atleast $200 to go to the next site and find somewhere offering another bonus.....and so on and so on. You can make money to begin you bankroll by simply jumping from site to site. There are sites I keep money at like Pokerstars just for some of the tourneys they offer, but for the most part I use one, get the bonus and bounce.

Remember they give you the $10 just for signing up no deposit required.

It takes about 15 minutes to get your $10 after you sign up, so be patient, i got frustrated when I first did it.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:57 pm

Just buy Sklansky's Low Limit book and it'll give you all the info you need to give you a good starting foundation, after that the best way to go is by experience.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BGbootha » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:59 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:Just buy Sklansky's Low Limit book and it'll give you all the info you need to give you a good starting foundation, after that the best way to go is by experience.

Yes this is by far the best book for low limit online poker (or getting started online)
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:29 am

GSes wrote:my tips are simple, and i belive are the way to win at lower levels of online poker 50 cent, 1 dolar, 2 dolars, 4 dolars big blinds.

Agreed. ;-D

Disagree. Both are weak hands without a set. Play them the same as pocket dueces, unless the flop is three dinks. Then get agressive.

A/A, K/K, agree. ;-D

Q/Q is always dangerous, and how to play depends on the situation. About half the time I bet them hard, half the time I limp and try to nail the set which sets a nice trap for a big pot.

Agree as well except for the suited connectors part. I don't play them unless it's 10/J or higher.

Agreed. Play safe when playing online, but if you know one of your opponents is a wacko, bet it hard and drain him dry.

Just buy Sklansky's Low Limit book and it'll give you all the info you need to give you a good starting foundation

Agreed here as well. ;-D

Something else, just remember that you're most likely playing "no fold 'em hold 'em" meaning you'll get calls all the way down and your opponent will have mid pair, bottom pair, ace high type of stuff. Bluffing online doesn't work well, and really isn't worth doing very often. Occasionally you'll get away with it, but not enough to make it worth it.

Also, as far as how to play each hand, there's no set book, rules, etc. Just depends on the situation and the players at the table. As you play, you will learn when the right time is to push, and the right time to play passive.

You mentioned getting "outkicked". What type of hands are you playing? Here's a list of standard hands that I'll play:

Any pocket pair (as long as it's not a huge preflop raise--2/2 to 9/9 doesn't look to good when there's a big preflop raise and not many players in the hand).

10/J or better (both cards must be over 10).

A/x suited (again, provided there's not a huge preflop raise, see above).

That's it. Remember that good poker players see the flop around 15% of the time in No Limit (it does increase some in a limit game, but not a whole lot, and it increases quite a bit if the table is shorthanded, but this is about a full table). That's basically 1 in 7 hands, so patience is the biggest thing that I see players lacking.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RyanK » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:59 am

Thanks for the tips..

mad.. i was playing some semi hands i shouldve.. and the pot limit kinda screwed me.. suited connectors kill me.. and with the pot limit a raise of .25 cents here and there it would keep me in with a pair of 9s with a queen or so on the board and in the end screw me over.. then when i tried no limit i just a few bad beats.. i usually try to just play A/x and pairs but i have a problem of raising at poor times or if i play two high cards pre flop thats where i get screwed.. i gotta start folding Q/10.. i get out kicked on that the most..
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby RyanK » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:02 am

my worst beat today though cost me about 15 bucks was my 5s full of 8s to 8s full of 5s.. ig ot screwed over by the river.. guy hit his 8.. i figured sweet full house i got this won after betting hard on the turn when i hit my set i kept the hard bet adn then got re raised.. so i kinda had to call since it was less than my raise
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:46 am

One thing you may want to start trying is tourney's. This way it's only say $5 for you to keep practicing. I've played thousands of tourney's online and I think it's the best way to learn instead of learning on cash games. Granted it is totally a different setup but if you make a mistake in a tourney, it's not going to burn a huge hole in your pocket. And if you have a little money you can experiment a little with hands. I agree with everything in the second post as far as starting out goes. Once you get past that, it's a whole new ball game ;)
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:16 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:Just buy Sklansky's Low Limit book and it'll give you all the info you need to give you a good starting foundation, after that the best way to go is by experience.

The book coupled with some good teachers pretty much kept us afloat during college. Good call J. ;-D
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk