bj upton comparisons... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

bj upton comparisons...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SkeetNation » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:00 am

Thats by no means the board consensous or anything that Wood and Drew are/will be better then Upton, just one mans opinion.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
SkeetNation
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:31 am

BJ Upton will probably have to move from SS he makes too many errors... That being said... I doubt that Wood is brought up before Sept. Look for Kendrick, and Wood to be brought up at the same time, since they have been together (SS and 2B) their entire minor league existance...(All levels)

Stephen Drew might end up the starting SS to begin the season, with Counsel hurt, and trading away Cintron, the DBacks are showing a lot of trust in S.Drew, not to mention a pretty good showing at the plate thus far in ST... (At least he should probably make the team as the back-up out of ST, with the current roster changes)

Justin Upton is the farthest away, he has already been sent down to "A" ball so he can play everyday... He probably has the most upside, and may end up moving Drew to 2B which he can play just as well.. I forsee a Upton/Drew (SS/2B) combo of the future, and with the other youngins for the DBacks the future is bright ;-D

1B-ConnorJackson
2B-Stephen Drew
3B-Chad Tracy
SS-Justin Upton
RF-Carlos Gonzalez
CF-Chris Young
LF-Carlos Quentin
C-Montero

That is a very nice 2009 line-up!!!
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:42 am

Well if we are giving percentages I would say:

B.J. Upton - 45% chance he stays at SS, this is a big year for him
Brandon Wood - 30% As long as they have Aybar I think Wood is destined to move off to 3B
Stephen Drew - 70% The only guy who can possibly move him is Justin
Justin Upton - 30% I think if he doesn't show much promise the 1st year they will move him to help him get to the majors faster.

As for talking about players in their primes, the two Uptons are at the top of my list w/ Justin having more potential. Wood has one big year in a hitters park/league w/ bad plate discipline and people seem to forget that Upton was breezing through AAA at the same age.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby killercars » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:56 am

thank you everyone... i really appreciate the clarification and odds...

i'm thinking that since my infield looks like this right now...

vmart
pujols
utley
lugo
rolen

...that it's the ss/tb position is where i'll need the keeper help, so in having 2 guys (bj/wood) who could really go either way... i should be good to go and i'll be waiting on justin... :-D

oh, but i'm feeling even better than this because it appears for sportsline that no matter what you're eligible to play, you can still play whatever position they originally had you tabbed for... ie. mike jacobs... not eligible at c by any means, but still very much able to move him into our catcher slot...

i'm happy...

thanks all for your help...

here's what i took from this... in order of the prime potential...

justin - 2007+ (ss/cf?)
bj - 2006 (ss/tb?)
wood - 2006+ (ss/tb?)
drew - 2006 (ss/sb?)

thanks again fellas.

jhonny.
killercars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:20 pm

hybrid wrote:Well if we are giving percentages I would say:

B.J. Upton - 45% chance he stays at SS, this is a big year for him
Brandon Wood - 30% As long as they have Aybar I think Wood is destined to move off to 3B
Stephen Drew - 70% The only guy who can possibly move him is Justin
Justin Upton - 30% I think if he doesn't show much promise the 1st year they will move him to help him get to the majors faster.

As for talking about players in their primes, the two Uptons are at the top of my list w/ Justin having more potential. Wood has one big year in a hitters park/league w/ bad plate discipline and people seem to forget that Upton was breezing through AAA at the same age.

From what I heard...Aybar will probably be traded mid season for some pitching help... The Angels really want, Wood/Kendrick combo to remain the way it has at all levels..They are so comfortable together, and have always played with one another... Look for Dallas to go farther in securing that 3B job for this year, and the future.. Enabling the Angels to move Aybar..Like they did Alberto earlier this year... Nice to be so loaded up the middle like the Angels are.. That is going to be a very good team for many years to come! ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:09 pm

Purple Haze wrote:From what I heard...Aybar will probably be traded mid season for some pitching help... The Angels really want, Wood/Kendrick combo to remain the way it has at all levels..They are so comfortable together, and have always played with one another... Look for Dallas to go farther in securing that 3B job for this year, and the future.. Enabling the Angels to move Aybar..Like they did Alberto earlier this year... Nice to be so loaded up the middle like the Angels are.. That is going to be a very good team for many years to come! ;-D

Well if they do they will be making a mistake. Kendrick is just going to be average on defense, Wood after he gets bigger won't be as good, and McPherson at 3B well that is even worse. If they really want that type of defense good luck, I hope their pitchers are strike out/fly ball pitchers. Also them playing at the same level doesn't make to much sense. They have only played together for about 500 AB's (half of Low/High A) at two different levels and now Kendrick will be in AAA while Wood will be in AA. If they really wanted them to play together it would make more sense if they were this year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:37 pm

hybrid wrote:
Purple Haze wrote:From what I heard...Aybar will probably be traded mid season for some pitching help... The Angels really want, Wood/Kendrick combo to remain the way it has at all levels..They are so comfortable together, and have always played with one another... Look for Dallas to go farther in securing that 3B job for this year, and the future.. Enabling the Angels to move Aybar..Like they did Alberto earlier this year... Nice to be so loaded up the middle like the Angels are.. That is going to be a very good team for many years to come! ;-D

Well if they do they will be making a mistake. Kendrick is just going to be average on defense, Wood after he gets bigger won't be as good, and McPherson at 3B well that is even worse. If they really want that type of defense good luck, I hope their pitchers are strike out/fly ball pitchers. Also them playing at the same level doesn't make to much sense. They have only played together for about 500 AB's (half of Low/High A) at two different levels and now Kendrick will be in AAA while Wood will be in AA. If they really wanted them to play together it would make more sense if they were this year.

If we were only going by '05 stats...you would be correct, but they did spend the entire '04 season in A ball together as well :-D

In addition, Wood and Kendrick will start out, and play in AAA together this year ;-D

They don't want to bring them up this year, for financial reasons..(Of course that could all change) but the reason is this... Regardless of how you feel about them, Dallas, Casey, and Jeff Kotchman will all be due contracts the same year, and they don't want to have Wood, and Kendrick the following year after that due big money to retain... The Angels believe in, Dallas, and Casey at the corners, with Wood and Kendrick in the middle...this is what they invision there future looking like, with Jeff Mathis behind the plate... Figgins in CF, and K-Rod, not to mention..B.Colon will all need to be paid again at some point...(Not exactly sure everyone's contract situations) Just syaing...this is what the Angels are thinking, when talking bring up Wood, and Kendrick together since they have played so much together already, and know each other very well... Aybar may be the better defender, but Offense is the key when talking, Wood/Kendrick... Dallas may not work out, and they very well could move Wood to 3B, and keep Aybar... Just saying the latest I heard, was they will look to trade Aybar during the season..
but GM's love to change there minds... so who knows, eh ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:59 pm

2003 (Provo) Kendrick and Wood together ;-D
2004 (Cedar Rapids) Kendrick and Wood together ;-D
2005 (Rancho Cucamonga) Kendrick and Wood together ;-D

So safe to say..YES... They have played a bunch togehter at each level, and would make perfect since to continue that trend ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby killercars » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:41 pm

fb - kotchman
sb - kendrick
ss - aybar/wood
tb - mcpherson/wood

what about morales... does he just fall into that dh slot???
killercars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:22 am

Ah I didn't take into account the Pioneer league, so indeed it's more than I originally thought. Though still each year they have only played a half of a year together 60+ games so it's not as much as saying they play together every year. They played last year together, but that didn't stop them from promoting kendrick ahead of Wood, so I don't think it matters to them to much where each is playing. Also they won't both be in AAA this year, Wood will be in AA.

As far as what else you said, I also think they believe in Kotchman though I doubt very much they do in Dallas and his ability to stay at 3B. If they did they wouldn't of tried to block him from playing there this year. Also Aybar is not just a defensive player, he is quite underrated offensively as well.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball