Draft Strategies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Strategies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:48 pm

I tend to take all hitters my first 8 picks unless there is a SP I just cannot pass up. I like to wait as late as I can to take pitching just because hitters are so much more consistent. The problem I've run into this year with that strategy though is I usually get Patterson or Schmidt as my top pitcher. Not bad, but will make it hard to compete in pitching with them as your top guy. I've found pitching is not as important in H2H as it is in roto. Whatever strategy you use DO NOT overvalue RP's. I was in a draft last night and Lidge was the 13th pick. Horrible. I love Brad Lidge but not in the 2nd round. Worring about picking great RP's early is a quick way to ruin your draft. Don't use Yahoo ranking either. I usually pull my rankings from this website. In short...load up on stud hitters as long as you can.
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:28 pm

Third Day wrote:Would you all agree that pitchers, especially starters, are more of a value in roto as opposed to H2H?

yes. simply because in H2H, a random 2-start pitcher can outperform a stud 1-start.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:07 pm

Normally, I like to take one SP in round 3, 4, or 5 - to be the ace of my staff. The rest of my first 5 picks are always hitters. In the 6th round, I might take a closer, depending on who's left, and how I feel about the top closer available.

My last draft that I did about an hour ago, I wound up with SP's in the first 2 rounds - I couldn't help it. With the 6th pick, Santana was still available, I took Abreu in the 2nd, and then with my next pick, Peavy was the highest-ranked player left on my draft board. Incidentally, I think I've done a 180 on Peavy since I posted that I'd rather have Zambrano than him :-o . I got burned by Peavy like 2 or 3 years ago, and took a year off from Fantasy last year, and didn't realize just *how much* of a stud he is now.

Anyway, Santana, Peavy, Schilling isn't too bad for the top of a rotation... Too bad my hitting is mediocre, and I don't have a shortstop worth speaking of. :~(
(taps little picture of a microphone)... is this thing on?
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:31 pm

Matthias wrote:
Third Day wrote:Would you all agree that pitchers, especially starters, are more of a value in roto as opposed to H2H?

yes. simply because in H2H, a random 2-start pitcher can outperform a stud 1-start.

I disagree, although if you play in a weekly lineup league with unlimited roster moves then you are right. But if you're in a real league that doesn't reward roster churning, I think SP (especially aces) are more important in H2H. In Roto, you can afford to sit guys when they have bad matchups. So you could have a staff full of decent #2 and #3 guys, start them based on matchups and come out with a very good looking staff.

On the other hand, in H2H if you're limited by the moves you can make, you live and die with the guys you have. You can't afford to sit guys when they have bad matchups or there will be weeks where you end up with 16 Ks and 1 W. You either get shelled or don't accumulate stats. Either way you're screwed.

Just my two cents.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:43 pm

i dont have set rules. i take what the draft gives me. i have general tendencies though (h2h):

*draft three position players and one starting pitcher in the first 4 rounds

*draft four position players and two starting pitchers in the first 6 rounds

*i have internet access at work so i am usually right on top of the new closers as they happen during the season. for that reasion i put off getting a closer for as long as possible---usually the end of the first closer run, sometimes after. get someone reliable like izzy, hoffman, street then fill up with bargains as the draft goes on (this year i really live valverde, ray, orvella, and gonzalez). i tend to go with one reliable closer and a bunch of no names.
*draft podsednick, reyes, or crawford and then pretty much ignore stolen bases the rest of the way through.
*i dont necessarily punt average, but i dont really worry about it too much in a h2h. i just like one base stealing monster and then a bunch of guys that hammer the snot out of the ball. there is always a place on my team for adam dunn.
*starting pitchers--i like lots of them, especially ones that rack up lots of k's, even if the ratios are just ok. give me the doug davis's, javy vazquez's and scott kazmir's. ratios vary week to week. k's generally dont. they are, imo, the most reliable stat from a starting pitcher.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:55 pm

I more or less do what j_d_mcnugent does though I don't worry about the starting pitcher in the first 4 rounds and I do prefer more sure thing closers. The only H2H league I play in is pretty deep and we do weekly lineups and we have 4 RP slots so its a bit harder to vulture closers.

Rest of my leagues are all Roto where I think established closers are a bit more important as well since the inning limits really reward good pitchers.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers