Which Batting Stats Mean the Most? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which Batting Stats Mean the Most?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Batting Stats Mean the Most?

Postby Cyard » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:24 pm

A few years ago, I read that the pitchers you should target are the ones that get at least 6 K per 9 IP, have at least twice as many K's as BB's, and have fewer than 1 HR per 9 IP against them. Using that guideline, I've done fairly well with my pitching choices. My batting choices haven't gone as well.

Thus, my question: are there any such guidelines for batters? A specific K-to-BB ratio, for instance?

I suppose I'm just grasping at straws (except maybe in assessing up-and-comers that haven't gotten a lot of big-league AB's yet), and that my overall strategy just needs work when it comes to batters. But I figured it was worth a shot.
Cyard
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants! » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:23 pm

The only stat that immediately comes to mind is ops. This directly relates to four categories. OBP- runs and average. SLG- hr and rbi
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby olympia0731 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:29 pm

Runs created+ Power/ speed number* Obp. LOLOLOL

Somebody please try this out. I have never used it, but it could work, and it has a cool abbr; rcpsnobp.
olympia0731
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby foulballstrike3 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:35 pm

OPS is a huge indicator, but obviously the guys like Pierre don't have much of one.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:59 pm

OPS has a lot to do with the ballpark. I recommend OPS+, OBP, and a K/BB ratio where it's close to even.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Jury » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:07 pm

I like OPS, OBP, BA if you play in BA leagues, and doubles and HR (power numbers).

I don't worry too much about K:BB ratios with hitters, but I do like players that can walk 100 times, ie. Thome, A-Rod, Delgado, Giambi, Dunn.

Another case where the K:BB ratio means nothing is Alfonso Soriano.

There are also guys that keep both their Ks and BBs under 100, ie. Miguel Cabrera, Tejada, Sheffield, Vlad.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

OBP and D+T

Postby Cyard » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:06 pm

I forgot to mention that my league uses OBP, instead of BA, and also has a Doubles+Triples category. So better-than-singles power plays more into this than the usual 5x5 league, as do Walks.

Also, it's AL-only, in case that makes a difference. And a keeper league, so most of the elite (and a few sophomores with good potential) are already spoken for.

I was wondering if SLG would be a good overall indicator for HR and D+T. Now that I'm typing that out, it seems pretty obvious, in fact.

I guess I don't have to look too deeply into OBP potential - just need to look at the OBP projections!
Cyard
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:55 pm

OPS and AVG spring to mind, but K/BB is also something to keep your eye on.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:16 pm

ISO and OBP.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Jury » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:53 pm

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:OPS and AVG spring to mind, but K/BB is also something to keep your eye on.

K/BB can be a good indicator when comparing players in real life, but in fantasy, it is a lesser indicator to use, IMHO.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers