Vernon Wells and his slowwwww starts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells and his slowwwww starts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:22 pm

July is hotter than August in the US in the majority of locations. I can't begin to tell you why it happens but if you check power hitters the majority of them seem to be better in June/July than the rest of the year. Maybe it takes them some time to get their timing and they tire out later who knows. Maybe its something to do with games played per month, no idea. I've seen a graph that shows HR by month and generally speaking the peak is in June and July as well, though i can't find that graph via google now unfortunately.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:23 am

I'm actually expecting a decent year out of him. Not crazy good breakout or anything, but good enough to be a starter on a fantasy team, with some upside. Here's a blurb about him from Sportsline:

Vernon Wells, OF, TOR: Wells turned the magical Fantasy age of 27 this past winter and returns for his eighth year as a major leaguer, as amazing as that sounds. He hit 28 homers and knocked in 97 RBI in his first season without fellow Blue Jays slugger Carlos Delgado in the lineup, so how much more can you hope for from him? His batting average can only go up (.269 in '05) and the Blue Jays have arranged a pretty good lineup around him once again. A career season is on the way for Wells.

Now I definitely don't expect the career season they are expecting, but startable stats? Yes. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:35 am

Made him my 3rd OF in the 8th round (87 overall). This guy is good when you give him a chance. I think 100/30/100 .275 is what you are gonna get with a slight chance of upside on top of those numbers (if he gets 10+ SBs and more rbi's). I'll gladly take him this year.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:04 pm

They said the same thing about Derek Lee before last year now he's jumped from 4-5 rounder to a borderline 1st rounder. I could see the same thing happen to Wells.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:15 pm

Wells' bat certianly looked slow last night against kim with the bases loaded... :-o
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers