J.D. Drew underrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

J.D. Drew underrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:57 am

JD Drew is great in shallow 12 team leagues, he's not nearly as good in deeper leagues. If you take a chance on Drew in a 12 team league when he gets hurt there is still good talent on the FA list. In deeper leagues you are stuck with a pretty anemic hitter filling in for him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:02 am

Well you can give me 120 games of JD Drew and 40 of some scrub from the wire as opposed to some 16th+ round medicority like a Kevin Mench all season. Drew is an enormous bargain where he is going. Is he a gamble...sure. Show me a round 16 player worth squat that isn't?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsguy138 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:07 am

RugbyD wrote:Drew is a great plyer. the only thing that would cause a difference in rankings is a difference in opinion of how many games he will play. Thats the only significant variable I see.


straight forward.. if he plays hell put up numbers.. if not your screwed
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8770
(Past Year: 404)
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:08 am

sportsguy138 wrote:
RugbyD wrote:Drew is a great plyer. the only thing that would cause a difference in rankings is a difference in opinion of how many games he will play. Thats the only significant variable I see.


straight forward.. if he plays hell put up numbers.. if not your screwed
That's pretty much it. Going around the 15th round I'm willing to take that gamble.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 389)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby Doughhead » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:33 pm

I've got a hunch Drew stays healthy and puts up top 12 OF numbers this year. But his injury history is obviously a big concern. Oh well, I guess that's what makes him a good sleeper in the first place.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 4368
Joined: 6 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby justinA » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:32 pm

Doughhead wrote:I've got a hunch Drew stays healthy and puts up top 12 OF numbers this year. But his injury history is obviously a big concern. Oh well, I guess that's what makes him a good sleeper in the first place.

Ding Ding Ding! This man's got it! Risks are what make sleepers people! I am looking for him for under $10 in my 14 team auction. I am going to throw him out wayyy late.. hopefully nobody else does.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1013
Joined: 9 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reiser » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:38 pm

justinA wrote: Ding Ding Ding! This man's got it! Risks are what make sleepers people! I am looking for him for under $10 in my 14 team auction. I am going to throw him out wayyy late.. hopefully nobody else does.


I think I like your avatar for a sleeper too. One exception worth pointing out on Drew-if your league uses OBP or BB, move him up a bit. tremendously disciplined hitter.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 641
Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby justinA » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:50 pm

reiser wrote:
justinA wrote: Ding Ding Ding! This man's got it! Risks are what make sleepers people! I am looking for him for under $10 in my 14 team auction. I am going to throw him out wayyy late.. hopefully nobody else does.


I think I like your avatar for a sleeper too. One exception worth pointing out on Drew-if your league uses OBP or BB, move him up a bit. tremendously disciplined hitter.

As do I. He is my favorite player so I am biased, but not biased enough to not cut him loose when he got hurt. Subsequently he got picked up last year for $7, kind of to piss me off, kind of in serious.. but this year the GM did not keep him for $12. Phew. I am looking to get him dirt cheap, but it sucks because I know they are going to try and run up his price.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1013
Joined: 9 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:58 pm

I have taken a 180 with Drew. I always thought he was a huge injury risk, but last year had nothing to do with injury history and he very likely could have played a full season if he didn't have a freak injury.

If he played last year and had a full season under his belt, nobody would be saying a thing about his history. It would be 2 years in a row that he produced and played a full season and people would probably be overvaluing him. I have no problem making a top 10 round pick on him in a 12 team league.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:09 pm

Well not only is his left wrist still sore from getting hit last year, he had surgery on his left wrist and shoulder in the off season. Don't paint too bright a picture of his health. He has 3 injuries to recover from just going into the season.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GRIN and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact