Josh Willingham - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Willingham

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Josh Willingham

Postby JoeMoney19 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:16 am

I haven't read or seen a lot of this guy, except that he could be a good sleeper this seaon...anybody (maybe from florida) know a little more about this guy? Is he worth having over guys like pierzynski, barajas, etc.?
JoeMoney19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Gags Sports » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:27 am

If you did a search on "willingham" under Baseball Leftovers Forum, you'd find more information in less time on this kid than waiting for responses.

A lot of people (including me) are high on him.

I don't mean to shoot you down or anything, but I just searched for the posts on him about 10 minutes ago and found boatloads of threads discussing sleeper catcher, draft strategy for catchers....
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby JoeMoney19 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:58 am

yea I guess all there is right now is speculation...I'm just wondering if I should draft him late or take a sure guy like piersynski or barajas...I'll probably take a flyer on him, just based on possible upside
JoeMoney19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Gags Sports » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:01 am

JoeMoney19 wrote:yea I guess all there is right now is speculation...I'm just wondering if I should draft him late or take a sure guy like piersynski or barajas...I'll probably take a flyer on him, just based on possible upside

Depending on how many teams are in your league and how many bench slots you are allowed, he's definitely worth a late round gamble.

Give me some more details about your league.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:45 am

Depending on your league size and if it is a keeper or dynasty league. In a regular 12 team league I wouldn't take him. There are too many others who have a track record and will most likely outproduce him. You can alwasy grab him later if he starts out hot.

If you are in a deep keeper with a bench you can stash him, then grab him for sure.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby Wozzyck » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:17 pm

Rather than start up a new Willingham thread, I'll add on to this one.

Does anyone know why Willingham hasn't played since Sunday? There hasn't been a peep out of the usual sources, and given that the Marlins had a split-squad game yesterday, I would imagine that there's something going on (however slight it may be).
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ActionHero » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:55 pm

This is what Sportsline had on Willingham. Frankly I'd be shocked if this happened, especially given that he's batting .500 so far in spring training. On the other hand, as a Prior owner, nothing would surprise me at this point. :~(

News: According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Marlins manager Joe Girardi said first baseman Mike Jacobs might be an option for a third catcher. Another one could be Dan Uggla who caught some in amateur baseball. "When you look down the bench for a third catcher, everyone hopes that you're looking past them," Girardi said.

Analysis: This means that the Marlins are looking to start the season with two catchers and either Miguel Olivo or Josh Willingham could be the odd man out come Opening Day. Still, consider him an outstanding sleeper among Fantasy catchers and a potential rookie of the year candidate should he win the job in spring training. In CBS SportsLine.com's NL-only experts 5x5 Rotisserie draft, he was selected with the second-to-last pick in the 10th round (119th overall).
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grouperman941 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:20 am

I still thought Willingham had the edge over Aguila in left. :-?
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JTWood » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:29 am

ActionHero wrote:This is what Sportsline had on Willingham. Frankly I'd be shocked if this happened, especially given that he's batting .500 so far in spring training. On the other hand, as a Prior owner, nothing would surprise me at this point. :~(

News: According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Marlins manager Joe Girardi said first baseman Mike Jacobs might be an option for a third catcher. Another one could be Dan Uggla who caught some in amateur baseball. "When you look down the bench for a third catcher, everyone hopes that you're looking past them," Girardi said.

Analysis: This means that the Marlins are looking to start the season with two catchers and either Miguel Olivo or Josh Willingham could be the odd man out come Opening Day. Still, consider him an outstanding sleeper among Fantasy catchers and a potential rookie of the year candidate should he win the job in spring training. In CBS SportsLine.com's NL-only experts 5x5 Rotisserie draft, he was selected with the second-to-last pick in the 10th round (119th overall).

Like you said, he's tearing the cover off the ball this spring. Combine that with his ability to play OF, too, and I would be nothing but shocked if he wasn't playing on opening day. That said, I intend to have a backup option, jic.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Wozzyck » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:02 pm

And Willingham misses yet another game (3/16) with no explanation forthcoming; you'd think the press has lost interest in covering the Marlins or something. :-o
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers