At least he's being honest... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

At least he's being honest...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

At least he's being honest...

Postby ramble2 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:47 pm

I'm in two public leagues, and one private. One of the public leagues (a H2H) is great. The other is mediocre. It's a Yahoo Winners league, and I hoped that by limiting participation to those who won leagues last year it would be competitive and have a high rate of participation.

Well, so far I was publicly flamed for offering Vernon Wells for Ichiro (about a month ago), and now someone posted the following message:

Players Available!

i am going on vacation and will not be playing for the est of the season. all my players are available. send me any trade if you want someone.

first come first serve!

good luck all!

Great. Like I said, at least he's being honest. I posted a reply asking if he could instead find a friend to take over his team for him.

It's a 12 team roto league. I'm in first place by about 20 points right now, and probably 9 teams are actively participating. I'm torn over whether to try and get some of this guy's players, or to let the competition strip him bare and try to catch me.

The only need I really have is in stolen bases. I did send him a Griffey-Miller for Beltran offer after reading this post, but I'm considering canceling it and letting what happens happen. Obviously that's not an entirely fair trade, although I'm sure it'll shine compared to other trades that get accepted. I think my squad is good enough I could still win without making any trades at all. I'll post both of our teams in a follow up post.

This is the last year I join a public roto league. The h2h format seems to keep people a bit more interested and active, so maybe I'll try another public h2h league. Or, better, next year I'll join a league formed here in the cafe.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:53 pm

Here's our rosters:

my team:

C Hall
1B Delgado
2B Cintron
3B Chavez
SS Renteria
OF Wells
OF Wilson
OF Byrnes
Util Griffey (until Kearns starts hitting again)
Bench Kearns, Kent (DL)

SP Zito
SP Halladay
RP Foulke
RP Rivera
P Wagner
P Nelson
P Santana
Bench Miller, Beckett, Willis

The team that is having the yard sale:

C Varitek
1B Palmeiro
2B Durham
3B Ventura
SS Relaford
OF Berkman
OF Patterson
OF Jones
Util Beltran
Bench Salmon

SP Colon
SP Millwood
RP Stewart
RP Lidge
P Lowe
P Wells
P Escobar
Bench Wakefield, Rueter, Washburn, Foppert
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jebatzel » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:14 pm

no commish for this league?

its up to you what you want to do, but all is fair in love and war.

I feel like when I send trades I usually give a really fair offer. Better than others, but if someone knows what they are doing and wants to trade it seems fair to me.

Does kind of put a damper on the league though if teams gets a powerful from this. His team doesn't look all that great though.

Where was he ranked btw?

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Phatjimmy » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:34 pm

Look at going for Durham. He's had a slow start, but he's a proven 25-25 guy. It doesn't look like he'll get there this year, but I'm expecting a pretty strong second half. It would get you some steals, and bolster what I consider your weak position. (Cintron has been a nice suprise, but he won't keep it up all year, and that infield is about to get crowded with Counsell and Spivey coming back possibly after the break.)

Interesting. I just noticed you had Kent on the DL. I take it all back. Cintron is a great short-term replacement for that.

I wouldn't feel guilty about the Griff/Miller for Beltran offer. It's not completely outlandish, and it would allow him to drop Reuter.
"This was supposed to be the summer of George!!!"
Phatjimmy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pilambp » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:46 pm

Phatjimmy wrote:Look at going for Durham. He's had a slow start, but he's a proven 25-25 guy.

Not to rain on your parade, but Durham has never hit more than 20 HRs in his career, and he probably won't any time soon. He's more like a 15-30 guy.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Phatjimmy » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:03 pm

No rain necessary. I'll go with your proven 15-30 stat.

Barry needs to toss him the juice so he can prove my fallacy correct.
"This was supposed to be the summer of George!!!"
Phatjimmy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LCBOY » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:44 pm

Phatjimmy wrote:No rain necessary. I'll go with your proven 15-30 stat.

Barry needs to toss him the juice so he can prove my fallacy correct.

Orange juice? }:-)
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jockpunk » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:49 pm

Run this by your league, but in my nba league, we had one guy who quit, so we told him to drop all of his players, which he did. We then took turns picking, with the last place team picking first, and so on. This worked out really well, but it reqiures honesty in that someone doens t go and pick up everyone.
Jockpunk
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thehat » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:01 pm

If an owner is pulling out, it's been my policy to freeze his roster completely. This is fair to everyone in the league, and if it's Yahoo it can easily be implemented by the commissioner.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ramble2 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:21 pm

Since it's a public league, there is no commish. I'm the commish in my private league, and if someone wanted to quit we have ways of dealing with it (e.g., in season draft of the person's team, with the last place team getting first pick, or something like that). Jockpunk, I think your idea is good, but I don't think it would fly in this league.

I think I will post a message directed at the person who is disbanding his team and see if he'd be willing to implement something like your idea on his own. Maybe I'll suggest that he give everyone two or three days to make offers for single players on his team, and then he accept offers based on standings, going from worst to first. I'd be surprised if he decided to put that kind of work into giving up the season, but who knows? If I propose it, at least people in the league will know I'm striving for some kind of integrity and fairness (not that I reallly give a rat's ass what they think...).

All in all, I think I'm going to stick with my Miller-Griff offer just in case. I certainly could use Durham in the short term, and Colon or Millwood would be nice too, but I'd rather not stack my team in this way. I've made great trades in this league, and had a good draft. If I get Beltran here, great. It's the kind of trade that is at least in the realm of respectability. If I miss out on him, well, too bad. If I lose because he trades all his good players to one team, I don't care. If that's what it takes to beat me, then I can feel pretty good about my team.

Oh yea, this guy had gotten as high as 3rd in the standings, but has been falling steadily recently. He's now in 7th place.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers