which do u prefer roto or H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

which do u prefer roto or H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:31 am

Giants Rule wrote: I like the weekly drama and results right away so we know where we stand. I also like the weekly trash talking, taunting and trade talks

That pretty much sums up H2H IMO, short term satisfaction. What I don't like about H2H is if you 'bend the rules', you can give yourself a big edge. With no inning limits, people use mass pitching to beat you. Stocking up on 2 start pitchers is another way to manipulate the results.

You can draft all offense, and just outnumber your opponent with lame pitchers and crush the league. The Rangers have proven that isn't the way it works in baseball.

I like H2H in football, because every team plays once a week, and the season is fairly short. You can't use 9 different QB's and beat your opponent. It's the best of your roster vs the best of his. Roto football sucks.

Roto baseball rules. I'd put a total point league after that, with H2H a distant 3rd.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:35 am

jdh wrote:Roto. h2h is based too much on luck, and less on the ability to understand and project player performance over the long haul. What I also hate about h2h is that everything comes down to the playoffs, which means that an awesome season can go down the tubes due to an ill-timed injury, your best pitcher blowing up, etc. The h2h playoffs are also at a time of year when many teams out of contention are resting their studs and letting minor leaguers get playing time, which further makes it a crap shoot.

Damn if everything you just said makes H2H sound just like real baseball..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:10 pm

[quote=

That pretty much sums up H2H IMO, short term satisfaction. What I don't like about H2H is if you 'bend the rules', you can give yourself a big edge. With no inning limits, people use mass pitching to beat you. Stocking up on 2 start pitchers is another way to manipulate the results.

You can draft all offense, and just outnumber your opponent with lame pitchers and crush the league. [/quote]

You cant bend any rules in the h2h i'm involved in. You play 7 games every week, which means you get 7 starts from your sp. If you have Pedro, and he has 2 starts that week, you schedule your team accordingly, to give him 2 starts. If you are sleeping, you will only get both his starts in 1 game, leaving yourself a average sp for game 7. Rotos more popular, probably because roto was invented 1st by Okrent. You will have loyalists on both sides. I play both. I really prefer h2h, simply because its more hands on. Starting and becnching guys is havf the fun, and imo, more realistic, since real mgrs do the same thing.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby timkell » Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:24 pm

Head to Head for me. I like the weekly feedback, and what some of you have called "bending the rules", I call strategy. I pick up two start pitchers every week from the wire.

Anyone else in the league could do it as well, so I don't feel bad about it. There's no advantage or disadvantage. It's just one more thing that good owners can use to beat other teams. Anything that let's owners' skills shine is a good thing, IMO.

And late season injuries should affect your team. That's how baseball is. Statistically, even the baseball playoffs has a high degree of luck. Winning a five game series does not prove which team is better. So, very often, the best team in baseball does not win the world series. MLB teams know this, and they don't complain about it, because they know the playoffs are exciting.

I dominated my league last year and lost in the playoffs, but I still loved the season. I'm dominating again this year. Let's hope I can win this time!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers