Strategy for 12th and 13th pick in 5x5 Roto Non-keeper - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy for 12th and 13th pick in 5x5 Roto Non-keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy for 12th and 13th pick in 5x5 Roto Non-keeper

Postby The_Idiot » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:46 pm

I am picking last in a 12 team roto draft. It is a non-keeper. Traditional 5x5. What are some drafting strategies for having these back to back picks.

I am defintely avoiding a pitcher with that pick (unless Santana falls which won't happen.) I'd like to go 3b with either Cabrera or Wright. What do I do with the next pick. Do I need to find speed at 13. I don't see guys like Figgins, Utley or Reyes getting back to me in the 3rd round. Do I reach for Figgin or Utley? Or do i just take the next player on my cheat sheet regardless of stolen bases?

What do I look for in Round 3 and 4. Is round 4 too early for Victor Martinez? When do I start looking for pitchers (starters or relievers)
Go OoooooOOOOoooooo'ssssss
Here we Go Steelers!!!
The_Idiot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:15 pm

I think the best scenario is Wright and Bay or Abreu. You get a good 50 HR/40 SB out of the way in the first 2 rounds. There is a pretty good chance that those guys are taken already though in which case just take the best 2 players. Utley isn't worth reaching for, not with how deep 2B is this year. Figgins I could almost see reaching for because of the positional freedom he gives you but I still don't think he's worth the 13th pick.
Last edited by Ender on Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby rlee » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:16 pm

My advice would be for you to grab the two best bats available. I think that once you get past the top, maybe 7 players, the 8-15 players is all a matter of your opinion and taste. So whoever you rate as the #12 and #13 player, grab them and don't look back. :-°
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:46 pm

rlee wrote:My advice would be for you to grab the two best bats available. I think that once you get past the top, maybe 7 players, the 8-15 players is all a matter of your opinion and taste. So whoever you rate as the #12 and #13 player, grab them and don't look back. :-°
I agree. I always take bats with my first 8-9 picks for sure unless a pitcher drops a 2-3 rounds lower than I think he should have. Then I load up on Bonderman, Kazmir, Mussina, Escobar type pitchers.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:09 pm

If you're assuming Wright and Cabrera will both be there, I think a great idea is to grab them both. Not only are they probably the 2 best bats available at that point, you can stick MCab in the OF and diminish the overall quality of 3B for everyone else. If you really feel like monopolizing 3B, grab ARam in the 3rd round and stick him at Util...

That'll give evryone fits :-D
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby The_Idiot » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:24 pm

Inukchuk wrote:If you're assuming Wright and Cabrera will both be there, I think a great idea is to grab them both. Not only are they probably the 2 best bats available at that point, you can stick MCab in the OF and diminish the overall quality of 3B for everyone else. If you really feel like monopolizing 3B, grab ARam in the 3rd round and stick him at Util...

That'll give evryone fits :-D

We also have a CI position in addition to a utility.
Here we Go Steelers!!!
The_Idiot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Gang Green » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:11 pm

I have the 12th and 13th picks in a H2H 6x6 league counting OPS & CG's. The same people have been in our league for the past 10 years. It looks like Abreu and Bay will be there at 12 and 13 for me. If MCab slips to me, I would definitely to take him along with either Bay or Abreu. I'm looking to grab people like Aram and Hafner with the back to back picks at the end of 3rd/beginning of 4th round. With OPS as a category in my league, I'm looking to grab as many sluggers as I can early. You may want to look at Grady Sizemore in the 3rd/4th round picks for another 20/20 5 tool type of player.
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:24 pm

that can be dicey. I got Wright and Bay in a 10 team league but couldn't pull it off in a 12 teamer w/ some Café guys. Wright went at #6 and threw me off.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby The_Idiot » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:01 pm

I guess that I am assuming taht I will have a crack at only one of Cabera or Wright. The other will be off the board. If this is true, what do I do with the other pick. Should I go with the best player avaiable or reach a little and stick to the infield i.e. Young, Tejada, Figgins, Utley...otherwise I will most likely be taking an outfielder like Bay, Abreu or Ichiro.
Here we Go Steelers!!!
The_Idiot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tuff_gong » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:12 pm

I would take Wright/Cabrera with one pick, and Bay with the other.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers