Gyroball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gyroball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:16 pm

There is also the pitch thrown in japan, the Shuuto. it is called a reverse slider.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:49 pm

thedude wrote:There is also the pitch thrown in japan, the Shuuto. it is called a reverse slider.

Watch Mr. Baseball much? lol

I think it looks like a sinking slider type pitch. I think he'd be close to 200Ks next year if he gets posted.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby DK » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:54 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
thedude wrote:There is also the pitch thrown in japan, the Shuuto. it is called a reverse slider.

I think it looks like a sinking slider type pitch. I think he'd be close to 200Ks next year if he gets posted.

That's assuming he starts, doesn't get injured, and in general does insanely well his first year.

Doesn't he have few pitches, which suits better for relief?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:07 pm

DK wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

That's assuming he starts, doesn't get injured, and in general does insanely well his first year.

Doesn't he have few pitches, which suits better for relief?

I guess all/most stud starters have a few pitches that are suited better for relief. I think Santana would be a dominating closer. Heck Roger Clemens could pitch into his 50's if he wanted to close. No team in their right mind will spend that much money to sign a RP. He's had a ton of innings already on his young arm but it doesn't seem to effect him as of yet. He'll be starting and I predict Johjima (Sea) will be his catcher.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby Howie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:20 pm

yum this pitch sounds delicious
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 7)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:28 pm

will carroll wrote something in BPabout it yesterday:

September 20, 2006
Under The Knife
When Shuuto Met Gyro

by Will Carroll

There’s been a lot of interest in the gyroball this year. You might want to check out Jeff Passan’s great article on Yahoo, but generally speaking, more people now know what a gyroball is. Or I thought they did. This video recently surfaced on YouTube and people have begun e-mailing me questions. The problem is that Daisuke Matsuzaka doesn’t throw the gyro and it isn’t in here. Until March, I thought he did, but he doesn’t. He does have a mean 81 mph slider with late movement that could be mistaken for a gyro at times, and he has tried to work on his gyro, but he says he’s never thrown it in a game. I’m part of the confusion--in my initial article for Rob Neyer, I mistook the shuuto and the gyro. A shuuto is essentially a sinker, while a gyro is more like a slider. This month’s Esquire has a brief write-up on the pitch, and there’s plenty more to come. I have something set up in the near future where I'll get some solid pitchers to work with, to teach the pitch and see what happens. I'll keep you updated.

One other thing on Matsuzaka--when you see his pitch counts, you might worry, but it’s very hard to equate them to American pitch counts. You see, Matsuzaka normally works on six days’ rest. I have no idea how to translate that. It’s one more fact that teams will have to figure out before offering the huge money it’s going to take to sign the Japanese ace.

interesting that matsuzaka works on six days rest. i didnt know that.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby thedude » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:42 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:will carroll wrote something in BPabout it yesterday:

September 20, 2006
Under The Knife
When Shuuto Met Gyro

by Will Carroll

There’s been a lot of interest in the gyroball this year. You might want to check out Jeff Passan’s great article on Yahoo, but generally speaking, more people now know what a gyroball is. Or I thought they did. This video recently surfaced on YouTube and people have begun e-mailing me questions. The problem is that Daisuke Matsuzaka doesn’t throw the gyro and it isn’t in here. Until March, I thought he did, but he doesn’t. He does have a mean 81 mph slider with late movement that could be mistaken for a gyro at times, and he has tried to work on his gyro, but he says he’s never thrown it in a game. I’m part of the confusion--in my initial article for Rob Neyer, I mistook the shuuto and the gyro. A shuuto is essentially a sinker, while a gyro is more like a slider. This month’s Esquire has a brief write-up on the pitch, and there’s plenty more to come. I have something set up in the near future where I'll get some solid pitchers to work with, to teach the pitch and see what happens. I'll keep you updated.

See the Shuuto. And people think i just talk out of my ***.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:44 pm

thedude wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:will carroll wrote something in BPabout it yesterday:

September 20, 2006
Under The Knife
When Shuuto Met Gyro

by Will Carroll

See the Shuuto. And people think i just talk out of my ***.

Yep you were right but gyroball DOES exist.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers