Keeper Constitution - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper Constitution

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Constitution

Postby johntudor » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:20 pm

I've typed up a Constitution for a keeper-league that I'm starting, and wondered if I could get some feedback here. This only applies to the system we're using for our keeper picks. It's a CBS Sportsline league, and most everything else is laid out in the league setup. This is what I've got so far:
At the end of the season, each team can select 5 players from their roster to keep for the next season. In the league's first year, only players drafted after the 10th round can be kept. For each player kept, the team loses a turn in the next draft two rounds ahead of the round that player was taken. For example, if I want to keep the player I draft this year in the 10th round, that player will count as my 8th-round pick in next year's draft.

The same penalty applies from one year to the next. If I keep the player in the previous example from one year to the next, he would count as my 10th, 8th, 6th, 4th, and 2nd round pick each following year. A kept player that counts as the 2nd or 1st-round pick cannot be kept the following year.

A player who is traded keeps the same round for keeper status. Players who are undrafted count as 12th-round selections after their first season. That is, any undrafted players designated as keepers will count against the team's 10th-round pick in the next draft.

If a manager wants to keep more than one player from the same round, each player will count as that team's pick minus two rounds, and minus one additional round for every player kept. For example, if a manager wants to keep 3 players from round 10, those players count as the teams 8th, 7th, and 6th-round picks in the next draft. If keeper picks from the same round overlap with another player being kept, the manager's pick in the previous round will be used. If the manager in the previous example wants to keep a player taken in the 8th-round, that player will count as the team's 5th-round selection in the next draft.

Keeper selections must be presented to the commissioner a week before the draft. Keeper picks will be made announced publicly upon submission. Teams that do not submit keeper picks in that time will not keep any players.

I tried to cover everything, but what do you think...? Does it make sense? Do you see anything that's unclear or ambiguous? Are there any situations I haven't accounted for?

Thanks, I'll appreciate any feedback. Welcome back, baseball!!!
johntudor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby xeifrank » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:56 pm

it's eerily similiar to the keeper league that I am running, which is now entering it's second year. We allow up to 8 keepers, and at the end of that players first year on your team you must declare how many years if any you are going to keep him (3 max). If you keep the player for one year he gets slotted into the same round he was drafted at (FAs slotted into 17th round). Keep for two years and he is bumped up one round, keep him for 3 years and he is bumped up two rounds. That way we are able to keep a player drafted in the first round for a max of one year, a player drafted in the second round for a max of two years and all other players a max of three years. I would think you would want people to atleast be able to keep their top pick for one year. Our collision formula works a little different as players are slotted down a round, instead of up a round. You will find that some of the weaker teams in the first year will end up loading up on players picked up as free agents during the year and want to keep them. So depending on the roster sizes in your league you may want to think about moving that 10th round claim on players picked up as free agents a couple rounds lower. Our roster size is 14H+9P+4B for a total 27 players. We are currently doing our 2nd year draft offline on a message board and haven't had any problems so far. We setup a draft schedule, where we draft X number of players per day, such that it takes 4 weeks to finish our slow draft. Overall, your constitution sounds pretty solid to me and the format of your league looks good. Have fun.
vr, Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby johntudor » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:07 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time. 2 things stand out to me.

xeifrank wrote:I would think you would want people to atleast be able to keep their top pick for one year.
Why? I can see why people would want to, but is that necessarily better?

xeifrank wrote:You will find that some of the weaker teams in the first year will end up loading up on players picked up as free agents during the year and want to keep them. So depending on the roster sizes in your league you may want to think about moving that 10th round claim on players picked up as free agents a couple rounds lower.
We've got 32 spots over 12 teams, so any player that goes undrafted is gonna be pretty weak. If he's worth using a 10th-round pick on then that'll be a pretty good FA find.

Thanks again. ;-D
johntudor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:28 pm

johntudor wrote:We've got 32 spots over 12 teams, so any player that goes undrafted is gonna be pretty weak. If he's worth using a 10th-round pick on then that'll be a pretty good FA find.

Thanks again. ;-D

i would then make the increasing round keep increasing rather than stagnate at two. otherwise, someone who was chosen as a complete keeper flier (say, delmon young) in the last round of the draft could be kept their entire 15-year career. i would go more along the lines of: round + 1, round + 2, round + 4, round + 6, round + 8, round + 10 (cumulative) making it round + 1, round + 3, + 7, + 13, +21, +31 (see how that works out? ;))
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby johntudor » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:44 pm

That's how I set it up. Maybe I need to word it more clearly. It's in the second paragraph.
johntudor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johntudor » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:47 pm

I mean I set it up to accelerate from year to year. Not as quickly as the numbers you listed... Hopefully no Delmon Youngs are lurking in the 30th round. And if a Delmon Young is picked up as a FA he'll count as a 10th round pick the next year...
johntudor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers