Sheets injury - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Sheets injury

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Steve-o » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:23 pm

Just found this...

Milwaukee Journal wrote:Yost said today that he expects Sheets to begin the season on the disabled list as he recovers from a strained muscle in his back.

Sheets, who will throw on the side Wednesday, is making good progress and could throw in a minor-league game by the end of the week. Yost said today that he expects Sheets to start the season with a brief minor-league rehab assignment, possibly with Class AA Huntsville.

"He's definitely moving forward,'' Yost said of Sheets. "But, he's not extended enough to be ready to go. We have to get him extended.''

Yost did not offer a guess as to when Sheets will be ready to throw in a spring game, much less the regular season. "We'll just have to see how he feels after he throws (Wednesday) and go from there,'' he said.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wags6817 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:08 am

It will be another long year for Ben Sheets, with injuries always coming up. :-/
wags6817
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HasteTheDay » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:12 am

The only reason he was set back, is because things were going right....

I really think Sheets can put up a nice season this year. This is kind of disappointing news, as I was really counting on Sheets' 2 starts to open up the season. But i'm glad hes not being rushed. I think this is the year we see him play to his full potential.
HasteTheDay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby footballsimp » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:12 pm

This is from KFFL:

Mar 21 Brewers.MLB.com's Robert Falkoff reports Milwaukee Brewers SP Doug Davis will be the opening day starter.

It has begun.
footballsimp
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby tuccic » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:35 pm

I just read on Rotoworld.com that Sheets started throwing again and if his rehab goes well, he could pitch the second game of the season.
Tuch

www.thetuchman.com
tuccic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby spamnon » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:56 pm

oh well, I kept him over felix the king...hopefully sheets will end up outperforming him even with some brief time off to start the season. I hope this won't affect my draft strategy though...might be inclined to get another good starter early. darn't!
spamnon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lefty31mazur » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:53 am

"It took a little bit of time but I finally received some clarification on Sheet's injury. Yes, it is the teres major muscle, and not the latissimus (lat) dorsi muscle he tore last season. Before Sheets suffered the injury last season, his teres major muscle and lat muscle inserted (connects to the bone) in two different locations. In most people, they blend as one muscle just before the insertion point. After Sheets suffered the injury last year, both muscles healed and connected just before they inserted to the bone.

His current injury is a slight strain of the teres major muscle in that area and is caused by some overuse this spring. These muscles are 'relearning' a bit because of the two muscles 'merging' close to the bone. The team's medical staff is being diligent with Sheets, focusing on strengthening of the muscles in this area to help prevent further problems. After digesting this news we're not as concerned about this injury and Sheets' future. We'll get a better idea how far back he is when he resumes throwing curveballs, the pitch that caused the strain. The Brewers realize he's their pitching franchise and because of that viewpoint, it wouldn't come as a surprise if he starts the year on the disabled list. This is more of a precaution than any other reason." DR. HQ, INJURY ANALYST
Rick Wilton, March 24
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:04 am

lefty31mazur wrote:"It took a little bit of time but I finally received some clarification on Sheet's injury. Yes, it is the teres major muscle, and not the latissimus (lat) dorsi muscle he tore last season. Before Sheets suffered the injury last season, his teres major muscle and lat muscle inserted (connects to the bone) in two different locations. In most people, they blend as one muscle just before the insertion point. After Sheets suffered the injury last year, both muscles healed and connected just before they inserted to the bone.

His current injury is a slight strain of the teres major muscle in that area and is caused by some overuse this spring. These muscles are 'relearning' a bit because of the two muscles 'merging' close to the bone. The team's medical staff is being diligent with Sheets, focusing on strengthening of the muscles in this area to help prevent further problems. After digesting this news we're not as concerned about this injury and Sheets' future. We'll get a better idea how far back he is when he resumes throwing curveballs, the pitch that caused the strain. The Brewers realize he's their pitching franchise and because of that viewpoint, it wouldn't come as a surprise if he starts the year on the disabled list. This is more of a precaution than any other reason." DR. HQ, INJURY ANALYST
Rick Wilton, March 24

Nice update lefty ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fame Throwa » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:55 am

Good news on Sheets, but it still looks like he'll miss the first couple weeks of the season:

Milwaukee Brewers starter Ben Sheets said he felt "great" after throwing approximately 60 pitches in a simulated game at the Brewers' spring training complex on Tuesday.

"Everything's going good right now — really good," Sheets said.

Sheets, who missed the last month of last season with a torn back muscle, strained a different muscle in his upper back in a spring training game March 9.

Despite recent progress — he threw a batting practice stint on Saturday — Sheets is expected to begin the season on the disabled list.

The team will go with a four-man rotation to start the season and hopes to have Sheets back later in April.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/app ... /GPGsports
Fame Throwa
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates