Sheets injury - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Sheets injury

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sheets injury

Postby jrock_at_rons » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:46 pm

FYI - Ben Sheets was pulled from hsi scheduled 3 ining start this afternoon after complaining of muscle soreness in his repaired shoulder (the one that cost him the final 6 weeks of last season).

Hopefully its not anything too serious, but something we should all be aware of as we get closer to our drafts.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1& ... 06&id=3511
jrock_at_rons
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ben_Sheets » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:29 pm

I'd be bummed if that shoulder injury limits him again. I worry that he wont be able to throw that curve consistently during the season, which would really hurt his effectiveness.
Ben_Sheets
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bounce » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:32 am

I took him as one of my three keepers - draft isn't until Sunday, is that still a good idea?
bounce
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dhark » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:43 am

bounce wrote:I took him as one of my three keepers - draft isn't until Sunday, is that still a good idea?

Who are your other options? I would have to see rest of team. What type of league...and what type of draft? If you have other for sure players, I would definately consider someone else.....especially someone consistenty good. If only keeping 3...likely to be many good pitchers left, pitchers are such a gamble from year to year.
Dhark
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bounce » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:16 am

I'm thinking maybe Jeter, just because of the lack of SSs. Standard 7x7 scoring. Roto draft.

Varitek
D. Young
Belliard
Beltre
Jeter
Hunter
Drew
Bay
Feliz
Lu. Gonzalez
Casey

Burnett
Washburn
Looper
Mesa
Hermanson
C. Lee
Colon
Halladay
Byrd
Sheets
bounce
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JakeTrain72 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:33 am

You got to be kidding me, I already have Pedro. Can't he put some Icy-Hot on it! Gosh I hope it is only a temporaty flame up or something otherwise I am in for a long season.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jrock_at_rons » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 pm

The doctor is supposed to examine him tommorow. If you can, I would wait for the diagnosis from the doc before not keeping him (if you can). I have him as a keeper too, but ours aren't due till Monday.

Another article in the paper said they think it might be the scar tissue from the surgery popping (which would actually be a good thing).

Either way, I feel your pain... more so as a Brewer fan than a fantasy GM.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=407205
jrock_at_rons
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:09 pm

"Drew Olson is talking about his conversation this morning with Ben Sheets on his morning radio show on ESPN1510, and remarked that Sheeter "feels better" today, like he could go out there and play catch, maybe even take the mound - but can't ramp it up.
"

That sounds ok as well, but I'd hold off making any decisions on him until after he throws again if at all possible.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby lefty31mazur » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:26 pm

I don't know what muscle he tore but it was on the back of the shoulder so muscle he tore last year was likely a de-accelerator. You can only accerlerate you arm as fast as you can de-accelerate it. As a former minor leaguer I can say that those muscles are under the most stress. I had chronic problems in that area...it was not fun. My guess is that he is going to build scar tissue and he will have to break that down every time out before that muscle can grow regularly. I know what this is like. The dull ache and weakness are things to expect along with tightness and a slower recovery until he is 100%. It might take all spring but he can eventually return to form. I just would not expect a hot start to the season for him. The real danger with this kind of injury is if this muscle group is not doing its job it can put a lot of stress on the rotator or even the elbow. That is what all the caution is about.
lefty31mazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wags6817 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:37 pm

If all the teams in your league only keep 3 players, I would never worry about keeping a pitcher, I would just go get one in the draft.

Off your team I would keep Bay, Jeter and D Young (if this is Delmon)
wags6817
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates