Picking need over value...good or bad? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Picking need over value...good or bad?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dodger33 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:15 pm

Classic question...here is a scenerio...

It is the fourth round of a 10 team draft and you have drafted
D. Ortiz, Miguel Tejada and Chone Figgins...you need a pitcher and only willis, zambrano, harden, and pettite are the next pitchers available, many will be taken before the next time you select....but Todd Helton has slipped through the cracks. Though you have ortiz already do you take helton because he is the best player available or do you select the need?
dodger33
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:18 pm

I'd take Helton. You could always trade Ortiz for Santana possibly and have Helton/Santana instead of Ortiz/Harden. Both are great, but I'd take the Helton/Santana side instead. Top 7 picks, I go for value.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:21 pm

chadlincoln wrote:I'd take Helton. You could always trade Ortiz for Santana possibly and have Helton/Santana instead of Ortiz/Harden. Both are great, but I'd take the Helton/Santana side instead. Top 7 picks, I go for value.

agreed.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:23 pm

I'd take Helton as well. Nobody NEEDS a pitcher in the first 5 rounds anyway, there are more than enough good 2nd tier starters if you target those instead.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:23 pm

I'd take Helton
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:27 pm

it just depends. i usually would go value but in this case i would go with the need. i am not that big on helton so i dont think him being around in the 4th round of a 10 teamer is really a value scenario. i'd go with Z or harden.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:28 pm

I think you always have to with best available/value especially early in the draft. For instance, in a Yahoo Pub league, I drafted Ensberg and Chipper back to back even though there is only one 3B slot available. Everyone knows that I have two very good 3B and I will probably end up trading one of them for something I need.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Hhmmm, this is a little tougher for me to decide on with your scenerio. I don't know that I want to bank on having to make a trade to get a pitcher I want when a top 10 and possibly a top 5 pitcher is there to grab without worrying about having to give up too much in a trade to get a different pitcher. If it was me I might just take Harden and go, though I tend to do different things when I'm actually in the middle of the draft. I've been in too many leagues where its hard to trade for guys without giving up an arm and a leg. Whats to say the guys with Santana, Peavy and Pedro, etc aren't going to let go of those guys cheaply or even "evenly"? I like Harden enough that I would probably just take him and move on!

Good question and it really wouldn't bother me either way to go with Helton or Harden but right now I would say grab Harden.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Sunspot » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:16 pm

I have found that in a league with actve members that aren't afraid to trade, I will always choose value over need. If you are in a league with little action on the trading block, you have to be more careful.
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Cow » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:29 pm

Helton is ssoooooooooo overrated take the Z-Man or Harden, unless there is a hitter that represents real value out there. Helton does not he is a middle of the pack 1B.
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers