FB Rookie has Yahoo strategy questions... please? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FB Rookie has Yahoo strategy questions... please?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FB Rookie has Yahoo strategy questions... please?

Postby merc » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:15 am

Although I have been playing fantasy football for years, I am trying fantasy baseball for the first time, and just finished autodrafting my first team.

It is in a Yahoo 10 team H2H leauge.

Scoring is based on: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, IP, W, SV, K, ERA and takes place over a week versus another owners team. If I understand correctly, each category counts as a seperate game, and at the end of the week, each scoring category is totalled up and the team with more points in each category gets 1W for each category they outscored the opponent.

I put my current team on a spreadsheet and entered all the stats from those players, and based on 2005 performance, it looks pretty good except for possibly pitcher wins(too many RPs?), and SBs.

However, when I look at some of the other teams total stats, my total wins and SBs are comparable, except that they are spread over all my starters, while the other teams have a couple of guys who have most all the wins and their SBs...

What are the general rules for setting up your team under this type of scoring system?

Thanks for your help and advice!!!

Take Care,
merc
merc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: FB Rookie has Yahoo strategy questions... please?

Postby Gags Sports » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:20 am

merc wrote:Although I have been playing fantasy football for years, I am trying fantasy baseball for the first time, and just finished autodrafting my first team.

Scoring is based on: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, IP, W, SV, K, ERA and takes place over a week versus another owners team. If I understand correctly, each category counts as a seperate game, and at the end of the week, each scoring category is totalled up and the team with more points in each category gets 1W for each category they outscored the opponent.

I put my current team on a spreadsheet and entered all the stats from those players, and based on 2005 performance, it looks pretty good except for possibly pitcher wins(too many RPs?), and SBs.

However, when I look at some of the other teams total stats, my total wins and SBs are comparable, except that they are spread over all my starters, while the other teams have a couple of guys who have most all the wins and their SBs...

What are the general rules for setting up your team under this type of scoring system?

Take Care,
merc

First of all, you should post your current team to get more responses.

Second, there is an emphasis on starting pitching in this league as IP is one of the categories. You need to check if there is a minimum or maximum number of IP that your roster can use per week.

Third, you shouldn't solely look at 2005 performance. You need to take into consideration 3-year averages and a players' age and home ballpark.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FB Rookie has Yahoo strategy questions... please?

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:44 am

merc wrote:Although I have been playing fantasy football for years, I am trying fantasy baseball for the first time, and just finished autodrafting my first team.

Take Care,
merc

First off, you've got the scoring system correct. ;-D As for your other questions, there are multiple strategies that people use. :-)

It sounds like your league is a pretty standard H2H league with IP as a category instead of WHIP. What this means is that your league tends to favor starting pitchers, since they'll tend to accumulate more IP than relievers. If I were in such a situation, I would probably end up using most of my bench spots on starting pitchers so that I could substitute them in over the course of the week and maximize my return on counting stats like W, K, and IP. The draw back is you'll be hurting your ERA as you start more pitchers, but in H2H, losing one category to win 3 isn't a bad idea at all. ;-D

Also, relying on relief pitchers for your W is not usually a good idea. "Vultured" wins aren't very consistant year to year, and you'll be better off using your pitching spots for starters rather than midddle relievers. (How much you want to invest in closers is another issue....)

On offense, going for a "really good SB guy" like Scott Podsednik or Jose Reyes can be a good strategy, but I tend to prefer the "lots of guys who will get a few", especially in H2H. I wouldn't expect to win that category every week as it is very fickle, even if you stock up on really good speedsters. There will just be weeks when they don't steal any bases and your opponent's Moises Alou will randomly swipe a bag, giving him the win.

Anyhow, I hope this helped. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby merc » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:44 am

Thanks Gags Sports!

Here is my current roster:
10 Starter Players - 2 of which are Utility
J. Posada, C, NYY
C. Utley, 1B/2B, Phi
F. Lopez, 2B/SS, Cin
D. Wright, 3B, NYM
D. Jeter, SS, NYY
M. Ramirez, OF, Bos
P. Burrell, OF, Phi
C. Crisp, OF, Bos
A. Rowand, OF, Phi
M. Jacobs, 1B, Fla
C. Biggio, 2B, Hou
T. Clark, 1B, Ari
J. Hardy, SS, Mil

8 Starting Pitchers - 2SPs/2RPs/4 any Ps
A. Pettitte, SP, Hou
N. Lowry, SP, SF
D. Davis, SP, Mil
B. Penny, SP, LAD
D. Cabrera, SP, Bal
M. Rivera, RP, NYY
B. Lidge, RP, Hou
B. Ryan, RP, Tor
J. Valverde, RP, Ari

Here are the best FA SPs currently:
Jason Jennings - Col
Tim Wakefield – Bos
Horacio Ramirez – Atl
Brandon Claussen – Cin
Paul Wilson – Cin
Jason Vargas – Fla
Scott Elarton – KC
Derek Lowe – LAD
Jamie Moyer – Sea

I can start up to 6 SPs each week... should I drop one of my RPs for another SP listed on FA?

Thanks again for the help and advice!
merc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gags Sports » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:48 am

merc wrote:Thanks Gags Sports!

Here is my current roster:
10 Starter Players - 2 of which are Utility
J. Posada, C, NYY
C. Utley, 1B/2B, Phi
F. Lopez, 2B/SS, Cin
D. Wright, 3B, NYM
D. Jeter, SS, NYY
M. Ramirez, OF, Bos
P. Burrell, OF, Phi
C. Crisp, OF, Bos
A. Rowand, OF, Phi
M. Jacobs, 1B, Fla
C. Biggio, 2B, Hou
T. Clark, 1B, Ari
J. Hardy, SS, Mil

8 Starting Pitchers - 2SPs/2RPs/4 any Ps
A. Pettitte, SP, Hou
N. Lowry, SP, SF
D. Davis, SP, Mil
B. Penny, SP, LAD
D. Cabrera, SP, Bal
M. Rivera, RP, NYY
B. Lidge, RP, Hou
B. Ryan, RP, Tor
J. Valverde, RP, Ari

Here are the best FA SPs currently:
Jason Jennings - Col
Tim Wakefield – Bos
Horacio Ramirez – Atl
Brandon Claussen – Cin
Paul Wilson – Cin
Jason Vargas – Fla
Scott Elarton – KC
Derek Lowe – LAD
Jamie Moyer – Sea

I can start up to 6 SPs each week... should I drop one of my RPs for another SP listed on FA?

Thanks again for the help and advice!

I absolutely WOULD NOT drop one of your RP as those closers are very valuable. However, I would consider trading two of them for some big time pitching. Try to target innings eaters. See if you can get C. Zambrano and/or Halladay.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby merc » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:49 am

Thanks George Foreman, for all the help and advice!
Looks like we last posted at the same time.
merc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby merc » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:54 am

Thanks again GS!

I absolutely WOULD NOT drop one of your RP as those closers are very valuable. However, I would consider trading two of them for some big time pitching. Try to target innings eaters. See if you can get C. Zambrano and/or Halladay.
Zambrano is probably a no go since his owner is a big Cubs fan and has stocked his team with them... but Halladay is a possibility.

Another option might be for me to drop a non-pitcher, and pick up one of the FA starting pitchers? Will knuckleballer Wakefield continue to pile up the innings in 2006 even at his age... and if so, who would you drop?
merc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gags Sports » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:04 pm

merc wrote:Thanks again GS!

Zambrano is probably a no go since his owner is a big Cubs fan and has stocked his team with them... but Halladay is a possibility.

Another option might be for me to drop a non-pitcher, and pick up one of the FA starting pitchers? Will knuckleballer Wakefield continue to pile up the innings in 2006 even at his age... and if so, who would you drop?

You shouldn't drop ANY of your pitchers. I would drop Tony Clark first. If you need to drop another, then go with Hardy, only because you've got good depth at SS. But keep an eye on Hardy.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby merc » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 pm

GS: Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!

Which FA starting Pitcher would you pick up if you dropped Tony Clark? Wakefield? J. Seo is also on FA.
merc
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ukrneal » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:38 pm

Seo is an interesting choice. I'd pick him up. He's moved to a good pither's park and has done reasonably well until now - a more true sleeper in my opinion. I would not touch Wakefield.

You appear to be using Utley at 1b, which wastes his ability a bit. I think I'd see if I could trade Jeter or Lopez for a good 1b. Or, you could target someone more risky like Fielder, but he should also cost less. Then again, either Jacobs or Clark has the skill to put up 30 HR, so maybe you're ok. You could also wait to see if one of them is usable as a regular at 1b, and then trade Jeter or Lopez for SP. SOme 2b or ss will get injured (or underperform), and you'll be able to swoop right in to the rescue.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers